Oil cooler condition question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler condition question

After a flush and adding EC-1 Antifreeze I have been observing my coolant/Oil Temperatures.

While driving at 55MPH the coolant is at 190 and the oil temperature is at 208. Should I be concerned that the oil cooler is starting to plug up.

It takes at least 15 miles for the Coolant to reach 190 and oil temperature to reach 200. Most of that time the oil temperature is 10 below the coolant temperature untill 190 coolant temperature. It looks like the water does help in raising the cold oil temperature.

I removed the water filter that I installed after the flush, and after 500 miles, there is very little dirt collected, meaning that the coolant is clear so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

I wouldn't worry about it. Rule of thumb is 15 degree difference, your only 18. I'd just monitor it and see if it gets any worse.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Another thing to point out is that if you unload the engine, the oil will take longer to cool than the coolant, so sometimes that can also be deceiving of cooling efficiency.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM

thanks,
I will be driving to Florida next month and wanted to make sure I was ok in monitoring it,
I do pull a 15500 lbs 5th wheel trailer.
I am glade I do have clean antifreeze in it and hopefully it will move the dust off all the internal parts.

The coolant filter will stay longer though.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like the start of a problem. I wish you well in your journey next week. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Rule of thumb is 15 degree difference, your only 18. I'd just monitor it and see if it gets any worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Another thing to point out is that if you unload the engine, the oil will take longer to cool than the coolant, so sometimes that can also be deceiving of cooling efficiency.
Gotta disagree with both of these opinions. Under normal conditions you should be under a delta of 10* and usually around 4*-6*. At 18* unloaded I wouldn't attempt to take a 15.5k trailer on a long trip. You are headed for trouble IMHO. Don't take the chance rebuild the cooler before you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Sounds like the start of a problem. I wish you well in your journey next week. Let us know how it goes.
I think Shawn is right on target. Your cooler is clogging.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mitch, I said this because while I was getting my ball joints done I was talking with the mechanic about EOT and ECT. He mentioned what service procedure they go by and I went back and looked it up. Here's what it says...

Verify that ECT and EOT PIDs are within specified ranges (see PC/ED Section 1: Description and Operation of ECT, EOT). EOT should be about 225 F (107 C) when the ECT is 200 F (93 C). If EOT IS NOT within 25 F (14 C) of ECT during the concern, replace the oil cooler. However, first perform all steps through Step 5 before replacing the oil cooler. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01C.

Ford will not even replace an oil cooler if its not over 25 degrees of one another...

Don't get me wrong, I go by what many of you all say, but in the end just to be safe I'll try and get the answer from a subject matter expert...not that any of you aren't of course
Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
Mitch, I said this because while I was getting my ball joints done I was talking with the mechanic about EOT and ECT. He mentioned what service procedure they go by and I went back and looked it up. Here's what it says...

Verify that ECT and EOT PIDs are within specified ranges (see PC/ED Section 1: Description and Operation of ECT, EOT). EOT should be about 225 F (107 C) when the ECT is 200 F (93 C). If EOT IS NOT within 25 F (14 C) of ECT during the concern, replace the oil cooler. However, first perform all steps through Step 5 before replacing the oil cooler. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01C.

Ford will not even replace an oil cooler if its not over 25 degrees of one another...
That is outdated information. As of the VXCF9 flash it now throws a cel if the temp delta exceeds 15*. My dealer replaced mine with a delta of 17*. It is now also standard procedure to rebuild the oil cooler when replacing a blown egr cooler yet some dealers still don't do this for some unfathomable reason.

No way I'd attempt to tow 15.5k from Canada to Florida and back knowing I already have a temp delta of 18*. If the op attempts this I wish him luck. I truly believe he is going to need it.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 10-24-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I don't have the same flash as you. I'm running the VXBC9N8 strategy, I wonder if I'll get the warning if my eot's and ect's go past 15? I actually took my truck in a few months ago to get the most up to date flash and they said I did. I then contacted Eric from ID to validate and he confirmed that VXBC9N8 (FSM8) is the updated strategy for the 04s...
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM

You wouldn't catch me making that trip empty with that kind of spread. After 40 min of cruising down the highway at 70+ the turbo and motor get hot and the temps will spike up higher faster than a short trip. My temps came right back down but your's probably will not. This will likely cause major problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.