My drivers side heated sea hasn't worked since I bought the truck in may, and it has gotten chilly so I figured it was time to do something about it. Did a search and found some info on here, and I thought I had a good idea of what I was getting myself into.
I first tired to remove the leather seat cover with the seat installed in the truck total PITA. It only takes 2 minutes to pop the seat out and it was a lot warmer in my garage.
I also took the power seat assembly off the bottom. 4 more bolts and 30lbs later the seat was a lot easier to work with.
I ended up unbolting the recliner bracket on the door side of the seat to be able to pull the leather seat bottom up.
The fun really begins with the hog rings that hold the leather to the seat. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and a flat head to try to pry the hog rings apart. It took me about an hour to get the heater pad exposed.
I did not see any fried wires that others had mentioned in their posts, but I did peel the felt apart on the two little tiny black boxes at the back of the pad that the wires go into. Sure enough several of the wires had snapped off at the soldered joint. The ones that hadn't snapped off I broke trying to pull the felt apart.
I stripped the wires back a bit and re soldered the joints. I suck at soldering so I figured the safest way to go was to put a lot of it on there.
I sprayed adhesive on both sides and stuck the felt back together around the boxes. it was somewhat lumpier than before and I can just feel it if I push my butt back in the seat, so low profile may be important depending on how you have the seat adjusted.
Everything goes back togther nicely, I used some of the spray adhesive to stick he heater pad back onto the foam.
Started the truck up and in a few minutes I had a hot seat!
Start to finish probably about 2.5 - 3 hours