Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

which would you choose?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  straycat 
#1 ·
so i finally got the ok from the wife to get some guages. i really like the Autometer C2 package from Patrick at Discount power parts, but i was looking on his site and checked out the Quadzilla commander. it looks nice and ill be able to keep the Oh crap handle. i like the look of the 3 guage set up but the commander woud look good too. which one would you pick and why, it is going to be about the same price either way i go so give me your honest opinions. also, for nayof you who have this already, can i still use the SCT when i get that? thanks!!:D

#3 ·
I like individual gauges with needles. Much easier to see if you are approaching or exceeding limit values just by knowing the position of the needle. With digital type, you actually need to read the numbers. Also, if one gauge takes a pooper, you just need to replace that one. A monitor requires complete replacement.

#4 ·
Guages here also.

#5 ·
i really like the guages too, but i was also looking at ease of installation. everytime i see another PSD around town they have the triple guage set up and it looks SWEET! thanks for the opinions, il keep you posted on what i get!!

#6 ·
I like the commander - but don't have either - just awaiting funds to make the buy! and I think there is a way to mount the commander to the pillar right? or is that a different monitor???

#11 ·
its a bit of splicing on the commander. i got one and i wont put it in. :confused: i want one that plugs in to the obd II port.

#12 ·
I got the commander from larry. I like it because I'm not much with mechanics. But it was super easy to install. They give you detailed instructions and the harness is made specifically for your engine. The wire just clip onto the existing factory wiring with the exception of the pyro. For that it's the same as a gauge. Drill the manifold tap and put in the probe.

You can now with an adapter run a TS chip with the commander so there's no need for the dial.

Some say the digital guages like the commander show changes in temps faster than analog guages. I don't really know. How fast do you really need them to be? If their getting up in temp get out of the throttle.

I also like the way you can customize the readout and it's programmable for boost and temp perameters. When approaching them they'll flash and if I remember right the readout will change to only show the EGT, trans temp, or boost in big numbers to let you know you're at the limits.

Just some things to think about.

#13 ·
I to am in the same spot with the Oh Sh** handle. I like the reliability of dial gauges but the commander gives you a lot more options...

#14 ·
I have pillar pod with gauges on mine and love the way it looks plus other drivers will tend to leave you alone, kinda like speak softly and carry a big stick.

#17 ·
I have a commander and love it. BUT, recently I have also noticed that the commander is a little limited. If you are planning on doing big power, I would get regular gauges. If not, you cant beat the commander. Or just get both :) That is what I am looking at doing.

#18 ·
Hahaha, and how fast can a good thief pull that purty little plug in unit out of your pride and joy with a flashlight at 3 in the am, alot quicker than a full set of gauges. And what have you got if it has to go in for repair, not that any digital unit made at 4:30 on a Friday would ever need repairs, and I'm sure the rumors of the EGT display not being able to keep up to the actual numbers being produced are just that, rumors hahaha, I'll keep my pillar pod and analog gauges thank you. And like lilred said, they have the don't mess with me look going on as well................just my opinion though.

Gord.

#19 ·
well, i appreciate all of your opinions, but i made my order!! i decided to stay with the triple gauge setup. installation may be a little harder, but if one gauge goes out i can replace it and not have to do the whole thing. i wil post pics as soon as i get them. thanks again!!!:D

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.