Need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help

Hi I'm new to the Forum.
I would like to say hi to you all. My name is Lance i drive 04 350 6.0 with 85,000 my mods are....4'' turbo back and run a programmer called PPE (Pacific performance Engineering) I run it with about 80hp,a AFE cold air intake.

So my question is, i was out with the family camping and heading home had to pull a good hill climb out of town put my foot in it and out comes black smoke all the way up this hill, about 4mi or so(elevation 3200ft) this truck never does this at all, just a little at first. Drove home popped the hood and found the factory intake pipe at the turbo was cracked or had melted a 1/2''x2'' hole in the pipe and i found one of the blue hoses at the turbo is cracked in half. Do you think this could be the cause of the black smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMay View Post
Hi I'm new to the Forum.
I would like to say hi to you all. My name is Lance i drive 04 350 6.0 with 85,000 my mods are....4'' turbo back and run a programmer called PPE (Pacific performance Engineering) I run it with about 80hp,a AFE cold air intake.

So my question is, i was out with the family camping and heading home had to pull a good hill climb out of town put my foot in it and out comes black smoke all the way up this hill, about 4mi or so(elevation 3200ft) this truck never does this at all, just a little at first. Drove home popped the hood and found the factory intake pipe at the turbo was cracked or had melted a 1/2''x2'' hole in the pipe and i found one of the blue hoses at the turbo is cracked in half. Do you think this could be the cause of the black smoke?

Lance i would start by getting that part fixed then go from there, it is hard to tell when things are messed you and you know what the fix is
I am not a fan of programmers and tuners because they will get you in the lone run i see ARP studs coming down the road because the 6.0 will not take added HP. Get it fixed then add a coolent filter get a good set of gauges i like the Edge Insight to watch the ECT-EOT max 15 degrees difference more than that your coolers are plugged, a fuel pressure gauge under 45 lbs kill injectors
2 stroker
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome to the .org.

To start off:
1) Black smoke is caused by more fuel than air being burned. The holes in your boot let out all the air produced by the turbo. So, the fuel to air ratio was skewed causing black smoke. And black smoke causes insanely high exhaust temperatures which will completely destroy your turbo over time.

2) Towing with a programmer that does not have a "tow tune" loaded will KILL your truck. It hurts every component inside the hood but hurts the turbo the most.
You'd be better off putting gasoline in your tank than to tow with a high HP tune.

3) Fix the boot and the hose. You should be fine.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I saw camping so I thought you were towing a camper. So nevermind on the towing tune part. If your driving empty
then you can have whatever tune you want.

But the cause for black smoke was the holes in your air system. Fix those and you're good to go
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post

Lance i would start by getting that part fixed then go from there, it is hard to tell when things are messed you and you know what the fix is
I am not a fan of programmers and tuners because they will get you in the lone run i see ARP studs coming down the road because the 6.0 will not take added HP. Get it fixed then add a coolent filter get a good set of gauges i like the Edge Insight to watch the ECT-EOT max 15 degrees difference more than that your coolers are plugged, a fuel pressure gauge under 45 lbs kill injectors
2 stroker
I do run a Pyro Gauge and even with all the black smoke i never hit 1100 deg. I will be calling Ford in the am to see if i can get the replacement parts.
I know what you mean about the Programmers i wish i never did the work i did to it, I got it with 35,000 in 07 and did all the work in 07 knock on wood no problems. Just some oil leaks that Ford fixed. I have heard of the coolant filter but dont know much about it. I will look into it, also the EGR valve delete i hear is a must.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
welcome to the .org.

To start off:
1) Black smoke is caused by more fuel than air being burned. The holes in your boot let out all the air produced by the turbo. So, the fuel to air ratio was skewed causing black smoke. And black smoke causes insanely high exhaust temperatures which will completely destroy your turbo over time.

2) Towing with a programmer that does not have a "tow tune" loaded will KILL your truck. It hurts every component inside the hood but hurts the turbo the most.
You'd be better off putting gasoline in your tank than to tow with a high HP tune.

3) Fix the boot and the hose. You should be fine.

Thanks for the info.I do run the programmer on the tow mod. and never any higher. Yes i was pulling a camp trailer thats about 9200 pounds. I was hopping that was the cause with the hoses. I was just telling a friend about how she does not really smoke at all then i hit this hill and it looked like a train heading up the hill.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMay View Post
I do run a Pyro Gauge and even with all the black smoke i never hit 1100 deg. I will be calling Ford in the am to see if i can get the replacement parts.
I know what you mean about the Programmers i wish i never did the work i did to it, I got it with 35,000 in 07 and did all the work in 07 knock on wood no problems. Just some oil leaks that Ford fixed. I have heard of the coolant filter but dont know much about it. I will look into it, also the EGR valve delete i hear is a must.
Coolent filter is a must have mod look here 2 ball valves and 3 filters to get you over the first year. look here
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
Then when you are out of warranty go with a ECL antifreeze.
2 stroker
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post

2 stroker
I have to disagree with this point. The 6.0 will handle a tune with the stock head bolts. The problems with stretched head bolts and blown head gaskets are usually a matter of a blown EGR cooler, and we know this is the result of a clogged oil cooler. The problem is when the egr cooler ruptures it leaks coolant into the the intake and then into the cylinders. When you really put a load on it and cylinder pressures go up it cant' handle the additional cylinder pressure caused by the coolant vaporizing and turning to steam. This is what causes the heads to lift, stretch head bolts and blow head gaskets. A decent tuner will manage cylinder pressures with timing so as not to create excessive cylinder pressure.

Mayday, I also suggest you flush your cooling system and switch to an ELC coolant. This will eliminate the silicates found in the Ford Gold coolant that clogs up the oil coolers in the first place.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i think you should just buy a 7.3......
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
i think you should just buy a 7.3......
Climb back in your hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.