Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lemon Law

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gerlbaum 
#1 ·
Is there a type of Lemon Law for used vehicles? I bought a 2003 CCSB 6.0 and ran fine drove it to my parents well after sitting I went to leave it it fired up and died 3 times then 4th time it stayed running but had hardly and power and bucked really bad. Once warmed up it ran fine. I looked around saw that it may be stiction so I ordered Rev-x and put T-5 Rottela oil in it. Started fine but it had only set a couple hours. It sat for 2 weeks cause I work on the road and got home tonight it went to start it turned key over it acted like it wanted to start it would fire for a second then die. Tried 3 times it would not start usually it would run for a few seconds bucking then die but not this time. I said screw it went in side then came back out an hour later tried again and it fired up but once again hardly any power till it was warmed up. I have a feeling the dealership started the truck let it get warm before I got there cause I told him I would be there around 9am. When i started it and drove it at dealership i noticed it warmed up really fast for a diesel but didnt think nothing of it until now. I have had the truck for almost 30 days. Monday will be 30 days and I have no warrenty with the truck. I would understand if it happened sometime after I bought it but the fact that it did it the first time I turned it off and let it sit tells me they warmed it up so it wouldnt do that when I got there and they screwed me over.

#2 ·
Also I live in Kansas and bought the truck in Missouri

#3 ·
:doh:On the paper work somewhere in that real small print it said (sold as is) it may be something you just have to fix, if so i would start with the EGR valve that is what it sounds like to me a good place the start. Have you changed the fuel filters, Ford filters only oil also check your airfilter if you need one the stock filter is good to 500HP
Here is how to clean the EGR Diesel Technician Society and here Diesel Technician Society
Good luck
2 stroker :icon_ford:

#4 ·
You should have gone back to the dealer immediately. You might have gotten something done at that point. 30 days later you are probably on your own. Have your FICM checked out. You should have 48v.

#5 ·
I am having the same issue in TN right now. But yes you can find resorces for lemon laws all over the internet. i found this in a few second but you may shop around to try and get all the info and maybe even talk to a lawyer, but it has to be done in the first 30 days.... i think.

Missouri Lemon Law Consumer Guide

#6 ·
Well I work on the road so I havent driven the truck much. Maybe started it a total of 6-7 times after its been sitting for awhile. I just figured it was stiction cause it was the exact same problem my moms husbands 6.0 was having and Rev-x fixed it.

#8 ·
The 6.0 is not one to set, if it does you will have a lot more problems the turbo will start to rust up on you. After it warms up you need to take it out and drive it like you stole it make the vains in the turbo work and help blow out the EGR valve a cetane boost should be add to the fuel:thumb:
2 stroker:icon_ford:

#9 ·
Again I say check your FICM. Your symptoms present exactly as a bad FICM would. If it is bad it is easy to change out. Buy one from Swamps and have the PHP FICM tune installed on it. It'll cost you some bucks but you can do it yourself. It is an easy R&R. It is easy to check the voltage too. Check with the truck running. Take the cover off of the FICM. With a DMM Ground to -battery post and check for voltage on the screw closest to the fender. If it's showing less than 46 volts that's your problem.

Let us know what you find out. But that is seriously where I'd start.

#10 ·
Ok I am home now from work and was going to test the FICM but I cant find ANYWHERE on the writeup on how to. I have literally spent an hour searching and cant find it anywhere. I found it when I was on the road but forgot to save it now I cant find it for the life of me.

#11 ·
its in the tech/write ups towards the top of the forum.

to me it sounds like a bad egr. i had pretty close to similar issues with mine. ended up having to get 2 or 3 sensors cleaned from soot and delete the EGR. i had originally thought it was my ficm but it checked out fine.

#12 ·
A lemmon law and how it applies to you will depend on the state. Just because something is sold "as is" a lemmon law can allows for a return or payment for damages that occur within X number of days of purchase. You should call the BBB of your state and they should be able to fill you in. Now, if it is from a private seller, the lemmon law may not apply. But again, this is dependent on how it is written. Finally, just because something is sold "as is" in a private party sale (assuming the lemmon law does not apply), it does not mean you can't recoup costs in a small claims court action. But you will have to prove fraud on the part of the seller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.