Gauges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges

Okay, I am following the direction of you all once again and deciding that I need to get me some gauges. Now, as far as simplicity goes it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to get a scangauge II with Xgauge. But I see a lot of you(Most of you) are running actual gauges. This is obvioulsly a much harder install, so there must be some benefits. Are the actual gauges more accurate than say an edge or the scangauge? If so, by how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
EDGE INSIGHT W/ EGT FTW!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The easiest thing to do is get an Edge Insight with the EGT probe and hook that up. It just plugs into the OBD-II port and you'll be able to monitor multiple parameters straight from the truck computer as well as scan and clear codes. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's a matter of personal preference, and cost. I rather have the analog gauges, and spend the extra money and get the Autoenginuity software that will do way more than the Edge or Scangauge. Just my .02
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
It's a matter of personal preference, and cost. I rather have the analog gauges, and spend the extra money and get the Autoenginuity software that will do way more than the Edge or Scangauge. Just my .02
If you get all the analog gauges you need to do the monitoring that the Insight does it is way more expensive and you'd have gauges all over the truck.

What are your 3 analog gauges? Are you monitoring ECT and EOT?

With the Insight CTS they are supposed to come out with add ons that will display on the CTS for things like Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc. that will make it even more valuable. Just saying.

I run an Insight but also run analogs for fuel pressure and oil pressure. I would rather have them on the Insight.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I like the scangauge, but there are some things it doesn't show.

I also have a fuel pressure gauge, and probably will get an EGT gauge at some point. Everything else I want to see the scangauge seems to do very nicely.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM

I prefer separate gauges. Yeah, they take up more room but they're easier to read. I don't have to squint to see what my fuel pressure is doing.

Plus I'm running the Autometer Nexus gauges so I have the choice of something like 7 different back light colors, 5 brightness settings, data logging, and the gauge goes red and blinks if I hit my preset maximum value (little extra insurance).
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can read my Insight without squinting day or night, I only monitor 4 things at once to keep it legible (you can monitor up to 7 at once). You can easily scroll thru 4 screens so you could monitor 16 things easily. It is so much easier to install than gauges and you can set alarms on the Insight to go off at your determined presets. I will be getting fuel pressure and possibly high pressure oil gauges.

My vote is with the Insight

Last edited by tuckman; 10-15-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I prefer separate gauges. Yeah, they take up more room but they're easier to read. I don't have to squint to see what my fuel pressure is doing.

Plus I'm running the Autometer Nexus gauges so I have the choice of something like 7 different back light colors, 5 brightness settings, data logging, and the gauge goes red and blinks if I hit my preset maximum value (little extra insurance).
All of which I can do and more with my Insight. Colors infinitely adjustable RGB values, Infinitely adjustable contrast and brightness. I have 4 screens set with 4 parameters each that I can flip through with a touch of a button. Plus I am displaying information that there are no gauges to display like load, torque converter lockup %, Intake air temps 1 and 2, etc. etc.

And I don't have to squint to see mine either. They are clearly legible day or night. I have more trouble reading my Harley gauges at dusk or dawn lol.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
If you get all the analog gauges you need to do the monitoring that the Insight does it is way more expensive and you'd have gauges all over the truck.

What are your 3 analog gauges? Are you monitoring ECT and EOT
For awhile now when I need to read my EOT, I've been using my buddies snap-on scanner until I figure out what size thread the oil pressure test port is . Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference and cost. I run Pyro, Boost, Trans, Coolant, Fuel Psi, and Volts.

For cost effective, the insite is the way to go, but for personal preference I like the analog gauges and the Autoenginuity software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.