ECT and oiler cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT and oiler cooler

Ive been reading thread after thread about ECT vs EOT and ELC coolant and filters. When I bought my truck last year, the EGR cooler cracked and my truck looked like a mosquito fogger. I deleted the EGR, but I didnt know about the oil cooler issues at the time. This forum has gotten me paranoid about it!

I do not have an EOT gauge, but I do have an ECT and a pyrometer. I cant remember ever seeing the ECT hit 200 degrees. Can I monitor the oil cooler by watching just the ECT? Or do I need to invest in something like an Insight monitor?

I plan to add a coolant filter and am considering switching to ELC coolant.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtoll23 View Post
Ive been reading thread after thread about ECT vs EOT and ELC coolant and filters. When I bought my truck last year, the EGR cooler cracked and my truck looked like a mosquito fogger. I deleted the EGR, but I didnt know about the oil cooler issues at the time. This forum has gotten me paranoid about it!

I do not have an EOT gauge, but I do have an ECT and a pyrometer. I cant remember ever seeing the ECT hit 200 degrees. Can I monitor the oil cooler by watching just the ECT? Or do I need to invest in something like an Insight monitor?

I plan to add a coolant filter and am considering switching to ELC coolant.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
The egr cooler prob cracked because of lack of coolant flow though the oil cooler slowly stopping up just do a oil cooler rebuild about 300 bucks if you do it yourself. And add a coolant filter
JER-1

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER-1 View Post
The egr cooler prob cracked because of lack of coolant flow though the oil cooler slowly stopping up just do a oil cooler rebuild about 300 bucks if you do it yourself. And add a coolant filter
JER-1

Yeah, that is what I keep reading.... The truck runs fantastic right now, I just hate pulling stuff apart that isnt broken.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM

Get a EOT gauge. If the oil gets hot enough it will ruin your engine
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

I just bought the scangauge II off ebay for around $150.00. Its a nice gauge you can mount with velcro anywhere. I mounted mine to the top of the rear view mirror with the velcro they supply.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Insight is a great tool and I highly recommend it. You can not tell what your oil temp is from the coolant temp, you need a gauge. You can just add an oil temp gauge if you want but you need to see both.

If your egr cooler was blown the odds are that a clogged oil cooler caused it. You really should find out for sure and fix it before something really nasty happens to your engine.

Then flush the system and switch to ELC. The Ford Gold coolant is what clogs up the oil cooler.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 10-14-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Where do I tie in a temp prob for my oil temp?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy444 View Post
Just do it the right way it is a plug and play with the Edge Insight it will save you in the long run don't mean to push it on you but it is well worth it
For the temp prob some have drilled into the oil filter cap or you can get a different cap
2 stroker
Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy444 View Post
You can buy a billet oil filter cap that is already drilled and tapped 1/8npt. Or you can use the oil pressure test port that is already there on the stock oil filter housing. Right now I researching what size and thread is the oil pressure test port plug so I can put my sending unit there.

If you already have the Autometer gauges with the short sweep needle, the sending unit is all the same for the trans,coolant, and oil temp (part #2258). I'm gonna use my autometer trans temp gauge as a dual gauge for also monitoring the oil also. Gonna use a toggle switch that is on/off/on, the center terminal of the switch will be for the gauge, and one of the end terminals will go th the trans sending unit, while the other will go to the oil temp sending unit. So far, I spent $28 for a switch and autometer sending unit.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Just do it the right way it is a plug and play with the Edge Insight it will save you in the long run don't mean to push it on you but it is well worth it
For the temp prob some have drilled into the oil filter cap or you can get a different cap
Tapping an oil filter cap can be hard for those with the by-pass oil filter system. Doesn't the stock Ford computer system regulate the temps to provide a CEL if they get out of hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.