MBRP Down Pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MBRP Down Pipe

I have a queston about the MBRP down pipe. I want to install I have a cat back system from MBRP in my 04 6.0 now, how much of a pain in the *** is putting the down pipe. I dont want to be up creek when i cut the stock down pipe to remove it. Anyone have experence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It would really help if you put some details about your truck in your signature so we know what we're dealing with. There is no blanket answer to your question. If you have an 05-07 it is a bit of a pain until you figure out how to get it up there. I can drop mine and put it back in with relative ease. A buddy of mine who is a pretty decent wrench turner tried to get it in for 15 minutes and gave up, told me to do it. I stuffed it right in? It's tight and you have to pay attention to make sure it doesn't rub anywhere. That might mean adjusting it a couple times.

If it's an 03 or 04 plan on having to "clearance" the firewall to make it fit. They are tighter than the 05-07.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Yeah its a early 04, i have taken the turbo out to do the erg a few times. so i know theres some play in there now with the stock, not much but you dont think i should have much of a problem. I just dont wanna cut the oem downpipe and be screwed
Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its kind of a pain in the azz, but not too bad. The exhaust on my truck (05 with a MBRP turbo back) was the toughest mod I'd done at that time and I survived. I just did another one on a 03 last year (MBRP turbo back). I have a write up on another site if you're interested.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal9278 View Post
Yeah its a early 04, i have taken the turbo out to do the erg a few times. so i know theres some play in there now with the stock, not much but you dont think i should have much of a problem. I just dont wanna cut the oem downpipe and be screwed
I don't think that is what I said. I said you can expect to clearance your firewall. It is a tighter fit in the 04 than it is in the 05-07.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

want to send the link to your thread on the other site snake
Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Get a second set of hands to help. Getting the upper section on the turbo is a PITA. After that it's easy to adjust it for clearance.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:01 PM

With my 4" going up was no problem, no clearance issues. However while doing my egr delete I pulled the pipe up and over, and going back down was a female dog. Had to use a hydro bottle jack and move some metal. That was easier than taking out the second piece of pipe.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had to cut the stock down pipe on my 2006 6.0 in two places with a sawz-all in order to get it out. Installing the MBRP down pipe was not a problem, I just had my wife hold it in place from underneath while I attached it to the turbo.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just installed a turbo back 4 inch from Diamond Eye and didn't have to cut a single piece. The stock down pipe comes out without having to cut it if you support the transfer case with a jack and remove the cross member. New 4 inch down pipe came in 2 pieces so it went in pretty easy. Only thing that needed a little attention from a hammer was a stud that holds the firewall insulation in place. The rear section also comes out in one piece if you jack the rear of the truck up and remove the spare tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.