Coolant Filter Idea - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filter Idea

I'm getting ready to add a coolant filter to my X. I have been reading a lot on here about them and researching different ones. However, tonight an idea hit me. Why couldn't I just take a remote oil filter kit (like this) and put it in my heater line? Seems to me like it would do the same thing, and the filters would be easy to find and buy. Am I missing something, or would this be a good (and even better CHEAP) route to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ya this is a guy on here that made a real nice kit for like 50 bucks, if you got the time, go for it! I got a Dfuser one, love it, but the ss bracket that hold these things are flimsy if u ask me
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcooke View Post
I'm getting ready to add a coolant filter to my X. I have been reading a lot on here about them and researching different ones. However, tonight an idea hit me. Why couldn't I just take a remote oil filter kit (like this) and put it in my heater line? Seems to me like it would do the same thing, and the filters would be easy to find and buy. Am I missing something, or would this be a good (and even better CHEAP) route to go?
The Coolant filter needs to be on a bypass system, if you put it directly inline on the heater hose, and the filter becomes clogged, you will not be getting coolant returned to the motor and may cause overheating.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcooke View Post
It will work untill it quits working
2 stroker
Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you hook it to a "T" in your heater line it will work fine. You will just have to source the hose, fittings (those really aren't what you want to use, with top entry you need 90* fittings) shut off valves, and fab a bracket to mount it on. If you are feeling spunky, go for it. There is nothing wrong with your idea except just putting it in your heater line. As long as you hook it up in bypass you will be fine.

Most people that have done this have found that when all is said and done looking at the time spend to do it this way didn't save them any money and if they had to do it over again would just buy a kit.

But hey, yes you can build your own.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Retired Soldier!

After buying fittings,hoses and filter head from NAPA, i spent about 80 bucks to put my filter in.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDAVE View Post
After buying fittings,hoses and filter head from NAPA, i spent about 80 bucks to put my filter in.
Does your install include shut off valves for when you change the filter?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Retired Soldier!

Yes,
I put them in so I can close them to change my filter. I bought them at Menards, and they are made of brass.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Retired Soldier!

PGREEN,
I want to know more about vegistroke, do you have a site to go to for more information on it?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For the time you're going to spend on getting all the parts together, might as well buy it from someone that has it in one package. (And the housings look better)

I'm all for saving $$ but when it comes to my truck, it gets the best or nothing.
I'm not gunna skimp on something to save a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.