Ex Chevy guy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ex Chevy guy

So I have owned a Chevy my entire life.... all 7 years I have owned a truck but after a recent accident my last truck was totaled. No one injured and it gave me the chance to get my next truck. I picked up a 2004 F-350 Harley Davidson edition from Lance Cunningham Ford in TN. Two weeks later it died.

So now I have a beautiful (guys can say that about their trucks right?) truck that wonít run. The local Ford guys say EGR cooler oil cooler issue so thatís not too big but the warranty people say it isnít covered. I got a 36,000 mile 3 year extended power train warranty that says Exhaust intake and outtake (I havenít seen the paperwork my wife is doing all this because Iím deployed). Seems to me that should be covered.

What I'm hoping to do here is one introduce myself and say hey happy to be a Ford guy even though I'm sitting on a lemon for now and two ask for some advice. I read about bulletproof Diesels EGR cooler and oil cooler aftermarket parts.... does anyone know if they are worth abandoning my warranty and buying those parts? What can I do about the fact that I bought a truck in TN and it broke two weeks later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocix350HD View Post
So I have owned a Chevy my entire life.... all 7 years I have owned a truck but after a recent accident my last truck was totaled. No one injured and it gave me the chance to get my next truck. I picked up a 2004 F-350 Harley Davidson edition from Lance Cunningham Ford in TN. Two weeks later it died.

So now I have a beautiful (guys can say that about their trucks right?) truck that wonít run. The local Ford guys say EGR cooler oil cooler issue so thatís not too big but the warranty people say it isnít covered. I got a 36,000 mile 3 year extended power train warranty that says Exhaust intake and outtake (I havenít seen the paperwork my wife is doing all this because Iím deployed). Seems to me that should be covered.

What I'm hoping to do here is one introduce myself and say hey happy to be a Ford guy even though I'm sitting on a lemon for now and two ask for some advice. I read about bulletproof Diesels EGR cooler and oil cooler aftermarket parts.... does anyone know if they are worth abandoning my warranty and buying those parts? What can I do about the fact that I bought a truck in TN and it broke two weeks later?
short answer, yes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, unfortunately you bought a 6.0 from the "trouble years". On the bright side with some work it can be a reliable truck. the best thing to do on these trucks is to delete the egr and cooler, upgrade the oil cooler, and install headstuds. after that they are pretty great. I havent done any of those things to mine yet but i will when i can affrord it. Im not sure if an egr failure will cause a no start condition but i would definitely go with the aftermarket set up and avoid future trouble. someone will chime in soon that can help you further. my best advice change the oil every 5k and fuel filter every 15k or less like i do at 10k, use ONLY ford or international filters.good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does TN have a lemon law in the state? If so you can take the truck back to the dealer within 30 days or what ever it is for the state and demand your money back or the truck be fixed. There is an egr delete kit which is good to use for these trucks, especially on 03 04 trucks the egr is known to get clogged and stop working. You are probably better off going with the aftermarket egr delete and save yourself the headache later on down the road with a repeat of this problem.

Two things the 6.0 is known for EGR issues and blowing head gaskets because of the weak head bolts. They also sell a 6.0 solution kit that takes care of both of the weaknesses in these trucks.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

First of all welcome! Second, you need to determine if you can delete your EGR cooler. Reason I say this is being in the military you might be stationed in a state that has inspections. If that's the case you should look at BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 they sell an EGR cooler that is way better than stock. Everyone says 03 and 04s are the "troubled" years, my opinion is a 6.0 is a 6.0. Change your oil cooler, get either an EGR delete kit or buy an EGR cooler from Bullet Proof Diesel. Then flush out all that crappy gold coolant and put in some extended life coolant, either from Zerex, Cat, or Rotella. If you have the money throw on a coolant bypass kit from either Dfuser or Dieselsite too. Headstuds are worth every penny, but it is costly to do. In my opinion you can do that later. Just don't go crazy with a tuner and you'll be gtg. Have fun...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea I dont really buy the 03-04 is a bad year thing, the 05+ models have the same issues with the coolers, they just figured out the issues and know when to fix them before they blow HG's

And I also dont think you need to delete the EGR system to make it reliable, and IMHO sooner or later all states will be checking for them along with the cat if it came with one.

I would get the Bulletproof kit linked above, get some gauges and a coolant filter and ELC coolant and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First off thank you all for the advice. This is great. My buddy told me about getting into a forum with my questions but I didn’t think I would get such quick responses. So this is what I gather:

Bullet Proof EGR cooler and Bullet Proof oil cooler
(Is it worth buying there EGR valve to replace mine?)

Drain and replace old coolant and upgrade to listed types listed above

Are the head studs something I can do or is that over the top for a novice mech?

Duc796- when you say they sell a solution kit who is they?

And finally can someone explain the tuner for me i get a general idea of what it does but I also have never owned a diesel let alone a ford. There are many things that are different and in turn confuse me. My goal is to have a better understanding of the mechanics of my truck so I can maintain it better.

Again thanks everyone for all the help.... hopefully one day i will be able to contribute to the aid of others too.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Head studs generally involve lifting the cab off the chassis or pulling the engine but it has been done without doing either. It is just a really brutal way to go. Bulletproof Diesel sells the Solution kit.

Semi BulletProof Package: Complete 6.0L EGR and Oil Cooler Package, Round Style EGR Cooler

The tuner is a device that installs new programing on the PCM to enhance the operations of your truck. For the 6.0 SCT is the way to go. Get an X3 and some custom tunes from Innovative Diesel or Gearhead Automotive and you won't believe it's the same truck.

Anyway, if you do the above (rebuild the oil cooler and either delete or install the bulletproof egr cooler, flush the cooling system good and switch to ELC coolant the chances are good that you won't need to do head gaskets for a long time.

I would also suggest you get an Edge Insight to monitor your engine's operating parameters.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So i feel somewhat dim when i ask some questions and this is one of those questions; What is the difference between a programmer and a tunner? I have a feeling this is going to be obvious but I want to make sure.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocix350HD View Post
So i feel somewhat dim when i ask some questions and this is one of those questions; What is the difference between a programmer and a tunner? I have a feeling this is going to be obvious but I want to make sure.
Same difference. They are pretty much thrown about interchangeably. It's pretty much ok to ask whatever you don't know. None of us was born knowing any of this stuff and we all had to learn it the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.