new 6.0 guy! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
new 6.0 guy!

Okay im going to come across as a newb here... but school me on the 6.0.

I am looking at 6.0's this weekend and beginning my search for a newer truck! I do know a little bit so im not the "rookie" that no one likes talking to, but here's what i know. You guys tell me what to look at and what to stay away from.
-Turbos on 03's are a little bigger than later years
-EGR's need blocked or deleted or a bulletproof one
-Oil coolers are a hassle, put in a bulletproof one
-Definitely need studs to run hot tunes
-Some years had turbo/coolant issues....can you guys explain these?

And i know on 7.3s rods were an issue with the 00'-03's. So just help me find something that i wont regret, going from an ole reliable 7.3 i dont want something thats going to make me bankrupt with repairs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
OASIS! OASIS! OASIS!

Service, Service Service!

They all can be great trucks. I don't buy the whole some years have more issues than others stuff.

03-04 have a bad rep but I drive an 04 and my Mom put 125K on a stock 03 with no issues.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Got a 03 170k no studs yet just common sense and no.egr crap been tuned since 138k run a race file every day and haul my 11k camper all over the nation with my tow tune so far I have replaced starter and hpop.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Youve got the basics down.

Studs are a good choice as is an egr cooler upgrade or delete

Bulletproof oil cooler is sweet but damn expensive. Definately replace the stocker with another stocker at a minimum

Now onto the coolant. THe ford coolant sucks. Any non silicate ELC will do Fleetrite from navistar is great.

If you dont want to replace the coolant a coolant filter is a must.

The 6.0 is a great engine. Most of the problems in the early years were due to lack of maintenence and misdiagnosis by alot of techs.

Mines got 95k on it spent all its life tuned with either Eric or Matts race tune.

No issues whatsoever
Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
OASIS! OASIS! OASIS!

Service, Service Service!

They all can be great trucks. I don't buy the whole some years have more issues than others stuff.

03-04 have a bad rep but I drive an 04 and my Mom put 125K on a stock 03 with no issues.
Ive been trying to base my looking for an 06 or 07. If im going upgrade newer is better so it will last me longer.

Dealerships will run free OASIS reports right? Im going to go test drive a couple and im even going to go test drive some common rail dodges. I wont get a dodge truck unless its heaps nicer and lots less than a ford though. I just HAVE to have something newish and reliable. Plus 450hp with ease would be nice!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokeorcroak View Post
Ive been trying to base my looking for an 06 or 07. If im going upgrade newer is better so it will last me longer.

Dealerships will run free OASIS reports right? Im going to go test drive a couple and im even going to go test drive some common rail dodges. I wont get a dodge truck unless its heaps nicer and lots less than a ford though. I just HAVE to have something newish and reliable. Plus 450hp with ease would be nice!
Can't really do that with a 6.0. You can hit 400-420hp with somewhat ease but after that you have to start doing major upgrades. Even to hold 420hp reliably you need :
studs
egr delete
custom tunes
coolant filter
head studs
oil cooler
and thats just the basic upgrades, there are a few other small ones you would probably need but those are the major costs
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Youve got the basics down.

Studs are a good choice as is an egr cooler upgrade or delete

Bulletproof oil cooler is sweet but damn expensive. Definately replace the stocker with another stocker at a minimum

Now onto the coolant. THe ford coolant sucks. Any non silicate ELC will do Fleetrite from navistar is great.

If you dont want to replace the coolant a coolant filter is a must.

The 6.0 is a great engine. Most of the problems in the early years were due to lack of maintenence and misdiagnosis by alot of techs.

Mines got 95k on it spent all its life tuned with either Eric or Matts race tune.

No issues whatsoever
yeah i could definitely do a coolant filter and regular coolant flushes, im not exactly worried about the truck once its in my hands. Its how to know what been done in the past is my problem... Ive got all you guys to steer me right once its my truck though!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin6Liters View Post
Can't really do that with a 6.0. You can hit 400-420hp with somewhat ease but after that you have to start doing major upgrades. Even to hold 420hp reliably you need :
studs
egr delete
custom tunes
coolant filter
head studs
oil cooler
and thats just the basic upgrades, there are a few other small ones you would probably need but those are the major costs
Actually you can hit 450 fairly easily with those upgrades and throw an FICM flash in the mix

Im at that mark right now without studs even
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin6Liters View Post
studs
egr delete
custom tunes
coolant filter
head studs
oil cooler
well to hit 400-420 on my 7.3 (which ive already done) it took turbo, injectors, modded idm, big oil pumps, custom tunes, lots of tranny work, intake, exhaust, hours of diagnoising and custom work, bigger trans cooler....which means LOTS of MULA! and LOTS of time....

You will never convince me that its "tough" to make 450 haha, ive already done tough. It only gets easier from here
Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Actually you can hit 450 fairly easily with those upgrades and throw an FICM flash in the mix

Im at that mark right now without studs even
I am probably close to that mark also.

Derek the dealership will give you an OASIS as long as they are a Ford dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.