getting oily sludge out of cooling system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
getting oily sludge out of cooling system

Just wondering what anyone has used to get it all out? I tried cascade but that didn't work, moved up to simple green that got out most of it but I still have alittle that comes up in the coolant bottle after I drive for 2 days. I'm thinking putting simple green in one more time and see if that does it. Any other products that might work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think your on the right track but it will take a while. I would also pull the block plug and drain the engine down as far as you can and rinse it with the garden hose. Do this with the radiator as well. Hook all the hoses back up and do the simple green thing again once or twice then drain it all and use distilled water when you put coolant back in.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

go to a local parts house and get a good detergent base coolant flush (nothing costic) and run it, it will help strip any oily residue from metal parts.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 AM

I tried putting simple green again today twice and ran it on the highway for 30-40 mins inbetween and it seems to be working. Probably need to do it 1 to 2 more times and it will be good to go.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Ford procedure is 3 gals of Simple Green and run it for an hour or so. I think Greased Lightning does a better job of cutting the oil but the key is a strong concentration and time running at temp. So don't skimp. Load it up with 3 gals and run it for an hour or more then flush the livin' he11 out of it before putting coolant back in. This is the perfect time to switch it over to ELC.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm going to do it one more time and I'm going to run it a couple hours tomorrow. I just finished doing it a couple minutes ago and there was very little left and the bottle in almost completely clean but I'm going to do it one more time just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.