Smoke on Start up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Galaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,539
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Smoke on Start up

For those of you tuned and stright piped.... are you getting an blue smoke in the AM when its cold out?

With my tune on I am getting a decent amount of blue haze in the AM or when the motor is cold. Really only does it when it is chilly or cold. Does it even more now its stright piped.

Cheers!

Colin
59-68Galaxies, Fairlanes
54 Ford Skyliner Glass Top
60 Country Sedan Wagon
87/93 5.0s 347
Buy/Sell/Trade/Service 40s50s60s cars!
06 F350 Dark Stone XLT FX4
SCTX3 Custom Tunes
ARP Head Studs
EGR Cooler gone
MBRP Stright Pipe
Edge Insight
20" Harleys 35" AT2
2011 Tailgate
Eaton TrueTrac
2" Leveling
Black Windows/lights
Blue Spring
03 Turbo
Galaxie is offline  
post #2 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine blows a puff of black smoke.
DIRTDIGGER is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Premium Member
 
SickStroke6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,691
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Whose tunes do you have?

Blake

2013 F-150 CCSB Oxford White FX4 EcoBoost
Loaded with every option...

2008 F-250 CCSB Dark Copper King Ranch 6.4L FX4
4" MBRP Exhaust w/ Muffler (DPF/DOC Delete), Modded Stock Intake, H&S XRT Pro
SickStroke6.0 is offline  
post #4 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator


 
PGreenSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,991
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
For those of you tuned and stright piped.... are you getting an blue smoke in the AM when its cold out?

With my tune on I am getting a decent amount of blue haze in the AM or when the motor is cold. Really only does it when it is chilly or cold. Does it even more now its stright piped.

Cheers!
If it's blowing a considerable amount of smoke and it goes away after it warms up I would check your FICM voltage. Your FICM could be headed south and if it is and isn't fixed it could decide to take some of your injectors with it.

On a totally different subject, any of those Galaxies have a 7 liter in them?
PGreenSVT is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Strokin'
 
Sticker89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not to high jack his thread but mine has puffed a little bit of white smoke on startup clears up after about 10 seconds and the last few days have been into the 40s and it lopes for about a minute after i start it. Is this normal when you have one of IDs extreme street tunes? Or is this like you said one of the precursors for an FICM going bad?

2004 F350 DRW SOLD
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 SOLD
2011 Dodge 3500 DRW G56 (6 speed manual) 3.42s Full deletes, Valair DD, H&S MM w/ Draconian Diesel MCC tune, Straight piped, AFE stage 2, CCV reroute, Recon lights 1/4 mile 14.8 @ 96mph 460/1028
Sticker89 is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Galaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,539
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
If it's blowing a considerable amount of smoke and it goes away after it warms up I would check your FICM voltage. Your FICM could be headed south and if it is and isn't fixed it could decide to take some of your injectors with it.

On a totally different subject, any of those Galaxies have a 7 liter in them?
Easy enough! What voltage should I be at and where should I grab a live wire at? Also, it doesnt do it much on my stock tune....

As far as the Galaxies, no. One a a stroker beast and one is a 428, but none origonal R cars.

Colin
59-68Galaxies, Fairlanes
54 Ford Skyliner Glass Top
60 Country Sedan Wagon
87/93 5.0s 347
Buy/Sell/Trade/Service 40s50s60s cars!
06 F350 Dark Stone XLT FX4
SCTX3 Custom Tunes
ARP Head Studs
EGR Cooler gone
MBRP Stright Pipe
Edge Insight
20" Harleys 35" AT2
2011 Tailgate
Eaton TrueTrac
2" Leveling
Black Windows/lights
Blue Spring
03 Turbo
Galaxie is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Galaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,539
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Whose tunes do you have?
John Lund.

Colin
59-68Galaxies, Fairlanes
54 Ford Skyliner Glass Top
60 Country Sedan Wagon
87/93 5.0s 347
Buy/Sell/Trade/Service 40s50s60s cars!
06 F350 Dark Stone XLT FX4
SCTX3 Custom Tunes
ARP Head Studs
EGR Cooler gone
MBRP Stright Pipe
Edge Insight
20" Harleys 35" AT2
2011 Tailgate
Eaton TrueTrac
2" Leveling
Black Windows/lights
Blue Spring
03 Turbo
Galaxie is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator


 
PGreenSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,991
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker89 View Post
Not to high jack his thread but mine has puffed a little bit of white smoke on startup clears up after about 10 seconds and the last few days have been into the 40s and it lopes for about a minute after i start it. Is this normal when you have one of IDs extreme street tunes? Or is this like you said one of the precursors for an FICM going bad?
Usually when the FICM is going bad it will smoke pretty good, gradually going away as the truck warms up. The colder it is the longer it smokes.

Your trucks behavior is fairly common with Eric's Xtreme tune. If you are not running a 5wXX oil I would switch. It will help with the injectors when cold.
PGreenSVT is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Galaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,539
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Usually when the FICM is going bad it will smoke pretty good, gradually going away as the truck warms up. The colder it is the longer it smokes.

Your trucks behavior is fairly common with Eric's Xtreme tune. If you are not running a 5wXX oil I would switch. It will help with the injectors when cold.
Yes, I am running 5/40 T6. It starts fine, no lope or issues, just the blue smoke.

And yes, John tunes a lot of SVT/Mustang stuff, etc. He used to work with Eric. Might be the same tune.

Anymore thoughts anyone? FICM or Tune?

Colin
59-68Galaxies, Fairlanes
54 Ford Skyliner Glass Top
60 Country Sedan Wagon
87/93 5.0s 347
Buy/Sell/Trade/Service 40s50s60s cars!
06 F350 Dark Stone XLT FX4
SCTX3 Custom Tunes
ARP Head Studs
EGR Cooler gone
MBRP Stright Pipe
Edge Insight
20" Harleys 35" AT2
2011 Tailgate
Eaton TrueTrac
2" Leveling
Black Windows/lights
Blue Spring
03 Turbo
Galaxie is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator


 
PGreenSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,991
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Easy enough! What voltage should I be at and where should I grab a live wire at? Also, it doesnt do it much on my stock tune....

As far as the Galaxies, no. One a a stroker beast and one is a 428, but none origonal R cars.
This will explain the procedure. The FICM is on the drivers valve cover below the degas bottle.
Fix UR FICM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 428 is a 7 liter. Doesn't it have 7 liter badges? I'd love a 63 with the 427 in it, but then wouldn't everybody?
PGreenSVT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome