oil cooler question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool oil cooler question

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and just purchased a 2005 f350 lariat cc lb with 94k miles it is completley stock except for 4" exhaust, i have been reading all the info i can to become familiar with the 6.0 and it sounds like the oil cooler is one of the main culprits with this engine, i have noticed that the engine oil heats up much faster than the coolant i can drive less than a mile and the oil temp gauge is in the normal range and the coolant temp gauge hasnt moved yet and doesnt for at least a few more miles is this a sign that my oil cooler isnt working as efficiantly as it should and may need replacing soon or is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The stock oil gauge is a pressure gauge, not temp.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Order your self something to read your temps with:

Scangauge II = $160 reads info from PCM

Edge Insight = $280 or so w/out EGT probe. Reads from PCM

Edge Insight = $350 or so with EGT probe.

Both can scan for DTC codes and clear them.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Premium Member

Lilpooh, on 06 (and probably 05 & 07) the oil gage is temp.

gdog05, your factory gages are not even remotely accurate. My oil temp gage always climbs faster than the coolant temp, but with my Edge Insight I can clearly see that the coolant is actually faster to operating temps. Get real gages of some sort and you will have a better idea of what's happening on the inside.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 05 KR doesn't show EOT. Just pressure like Lilpooh said. I'm not saying you're not correct, just that all that I've seen is pressure not temp.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDHRSE View Post
Lilpooh, on 06 (and probably 05 & 07) the oil gage is temp.

gdog05, your factory gages are not even remotely accurate. My oil temp gage always climbs faster than the coolant temp, but with my Edge Insight I can clearly see that the coolant is actually faster to operating temps. Get real gages of some sort and you will have a better idea of what's happening on the inside.
You don't have a factory engine oil temp gauge. You have a trans. temp gauge that climbs very fast, which is normal, but it takes a LONG time for it to get to operating temp. The oil pressure gauge is an idiot light with a needle. It only takes 7.5 psi for it to read in the normal range. The coolant temp gauge reads cold-normal-hot, so it's basically an idiot light with a needle too.

On 05-07 models the only gauges that are even remotely accurate are boost and tach.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog05 View Post
Hi everyone i am new to this forum and just purchased a 2005 f350 lariat cc lb with 94k miles it is completley stock except for 4" exhaust, i have been reading all the info i can to become familiar with the 6.0 and it sounds like the oil cooler is one of the main culprits with this engine, i have noticed that the engine oil heats up much faster than the coolant i can drive less than a mile and the oil temp gauge is in the normal range and the coolant temp gauge hasnt moved yet and doesnt for at least a few more miles is this a sign that my oil cooler isnt working as efficiantly as it should and may need replacing soon or is this normal?
To your original question. As has been advised above, you need to get something to monitor the difference in the engine oil temperature and the engine coolant temperature. The newest Ford programming will do that to a point. If you want some preventative maintenance add a coolant filter that will help prevent your oil cooler stopping up from various cooling system contaminants--casting sand, coolant precipitants, etc. If you find that you have a SUSTAINED temperature DIFFERENCE of over 15* then you possibly have an obstructed oil cooler which can also cause your EGR cooler to fail.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yes the oil pressure gauge is not even a pressure gauge. There is no oil pressure sender on our trucks. There is just a simple pressure switch and as npccpartsman says it only takes 7.5 psi to say you have oil pressure.

If you really want to know your oil pressure you have to add a gauge and the sender.

The Edge Insight makes it real easy to read your oil temp, coolant temp, and trans temp right from the PCM though. You need to monitor the oil temp and coolant temp if you want to know when your oil cooler is clogging and prevent more damage from happening. A coolant filter is a great addition and I recommend it but the real culprit here is the Ford Gold coolant. It contains silicates and the high temps seen as it passes through the egr cooler cause the silicates to gell and fall out of suspension. This is largely what clogs the oil cooler. Do yourself a favor and flush the cooling system and switch to an ELC coolant from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Zerex. They contain no silicates and are good for 300k miles with no additives. That will nip most of the clogging cooler problem at its source.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The Edge Insight makes it real easy to read your oil temp, coolant temp, and trans temp right from the PCM though. You need to monitor the oil temp and coolant temp if you want to know when your oil cooler is clogging and prevent more damage from happening. A coolant filter is a great addition and I recommend it but the real culprit here is the Ford Gold coolant. It contains silicates and the high temps seen as it passes through the egr cooler cause the silicates to gell and fall out of suspension. This is largely what clogs the oil cooler. Do yourself a favor and flush the cooling system and switch to an ELC coolant from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Zerex. They contain no silicates and are good for 300k miles with no additives. That will nip most of the clogging cooler problem at its source.
In regards to the ELC, is the ELC more efficient at cooling than the Ford Gold? Meaning, if replacing the coolant (I just had a new EGR cooler and Oil cooler installed at Ford to the tune of $1800) with ELC, will we see better heat transfer and as such lower EGTs and EOTs?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if it's any more efficient than the Gold but it gets the silicates that cause the problems out of your engine. I didn't notice any changes in operating temps on my truck in either direction when I switched it over. Having just replaced your oil cooler and egr cooler now would be an excellent time to switch it over. It is really a piece of mind thing. There are plenty of guys who have been through more than one oil/egr cooler even with a coolant filter. Your odds of having problems with your oil cooler, egr cooler, and head gaskets swings way in your favor without the Gold coolant in there. I still monitor my temps but have never seen them get over 202/208 on the hottest of days and that was only for a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.