EGR cooler hose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler hose

Hi guys, I have an 03 f250 that started dripping coolant on the ground about a week ago only when I would start it and never when warm, iv narrowed it down to the coolant hose on the EGR cooler. I still have the orange hose. I have a new blue hose coming from ford and my question is can this swap be done with the turbo in the truck? I really hope it can, alot of work for such a small fix. If anyone has done this before please give me any pointers you can or tricks you found. Thanks alot for the help

-Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Yes it can!!!

First drain a couple gallons of coolant out.

Remove the CAC See it's in the way:

Then remove the 2 torx screws, you can see one on the right. IT IS A PAIN to get the one you see. there is a tool that helps, I dont know the name and I don't have it. Have a magnet in case you drop something down there. cram a rag under that area.

The cap then comes off, oh, you need a new gasket for the the cap. I don't recall the part number though. After the cap comes off you can use a small pry bar to gently pull the hose off the tube that goes to the EGR cooler. It's a tug. Some have cut the hose before, I didn't, just pulled it off.

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 10-06-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Then when you install the new one, make sure you put it on the right direction. I added some coolant to the end going on the EGR cooler tube for it to slide.

Slide it back just far enough to put the part to the oil cooler back on and then slide the new hose forward on to the oil cooler tube. When you do get it there, you need to twist the hose to lock it into place, you will hear it.

I practiced the twist on the oil cooler part when it was out to see how it worked.

Have fun, should take you all of 20 minutes. Just kidding!!!! A Ford Tech can do it in 20, not me. I lost track of the time!! Dang #10 torx screws any way!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Is there a gasket for that cover or just an oring? I have two o rings on order as well I was told I would need. Is that where they go?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

yes, they are o-rings sorry about the missed naming! The one for the cap is odd shape as you can see by the cap, the other will go inside, you will see that when you get it a part.

After I had it all back together I thought to myself, I should have flushed the coolant system at that time, and disconnected the lower radiator hose and hooked a hose to the oil cooler outlet tube and back flushed the oil cooler just for giggles. Would it work? Not sure, but what the heck. What could it have hurt. Too late.

I wonder if any one has ever tried that?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM

i just did this repair two days ago and found out if you install the hose one the cap first then put it on it removes alot of time and sore hands, i am not very good and i could do this job again in 20 min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.