Hi guys I'm new to the forum ...Have a few q's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi guys I'm new to the forum ...Have a few q's

Just got my 1st diesel!! It an 06 powerstroke with 69k on it.. Love it so far have a question. If I delete the cat will it throw a cel?? Is it safe to do?? I've been hearing that these things don't have a waste gate,is that true? Is it external somewhere or what. If I do delete the cat how much more boost will it run. Anyway seems like cool forum any advice will be appreciated
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I deleted my cat and it's muffler right after getting my odd 6 and have never once thrown a code for it . Your safe in doing this , on the boost it will be the same. It will lower your EGT's Exhaust gas temperature buy a few I have been told by about 50 degrees . I have no way of knowing for sure cause I had many things done on the same day.. From what I understand no waste gate it blows back through the turbo and into the air filter . When the day comes and you get all into it then let off you will hear that flutter sound under the hood that's what it will be.
On the fuel filters and oil changes do them regularly , on time don't let them slip your mind and that truck will love you back for it

Oh and
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Retired Soldier!

Welcome to the .org
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Chapter Director

Welcome to the org! There is no wastegate on your 6.0.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the80proof View Post
Just got my 1st diesel!! It an 06 powerstroke with 69k on it.. Love it so far have a question. If I delete the cat will it throw a cel?? Is it safe to do?? I've been hearing that these things don't have a waste gate,is that true? Is it external somewhere or what. If I do delete the cat how much more boost will it run. Anyway seems like cool forum any advice will be appreciated
Thx
to the world of the 6.0 and the forum. 1. of the most important things to get is a coolent filter ASAP to remove the casting sand http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324 2. Get a good set of gauges i like the Edge Insight you can run 4 temps at one time or 6 but the screen will be smaller. You need to know the difference in ECT coolent and EOT oil the max is 15 degrees doing 55-60 on the freeway more than that the coolers are getting plugged (oil-EGR) mine is 2-6 degs difference. 3. Fuel pressure is next anything under 45 lbs will kill injectors mine with 17k on it was 44 at WOT wide open throttle and 50 at idle installed the new reg kit now 62 idle and 58 WOT + they like syn oil use only Ford filters (oil-fuel-trans-air). There is NO waste gate they have vaines in the turbo and they need to work to keep the turbo and EGR clean and add a centane boost to the fuel i like the Ford stuff if they set to long the turbo will rust up. Don't go over 30lbs of boost or you may be pulling the head studs 28 is more like it. The air intake or air filter good to 500HP. As you can see in my post prevention and maintance come before burning rubber and smoke. Keep it stock or you may need deep pockets
2 stroker

Last edited by 2 stroker; 10-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM

Wow. Cool man I kinda thought the variable vain wheel was the wastegate. I know about the water filter. How can I check the fuel pressure? And where can I find the reg kit. So just run the stock filter?? What about a drop in k&n or something?? What kind of oil do you run and the weight? Thanks for the info, keep it coming.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Your stock filter does your motor a great service with filtering. If you plan to go up in HP,over 500HP, then you would want to look at a lot of things besides air intake.

As for oil? Interesting topic going on right now. Dino oil has always been 15w-40, syn 5w-40. As for me, I will be changing to Rotlla T5 on my next change.

But now, the topic is switching to Rotella T-5 10w-30. According to oil analysis that have been done, 15w-40 will sheer down to 30 pretty quickly.

Do a search on Rotella T-5 and read that thread. The Ford manual actually shows 15w-30 (dino) for cooler climes.

Here is the link:

6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this.

Here is a link to a place to get filters, if there is a "Racor" filter for your application, you can use it.:

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Actually the Prime Guard filters at the above link work great and are a whole lot cheaper than the Motorcraft or Racor. Don't be afraid to use them.

While a coolant filter is a great addition it is really more important to flush the cooling system and replace the Ford Gold coolant with an ELC coolant (red) from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Zerex, Texaco. The Ford coolant contains silicates which tend to gell from the heat of the egr cooler and are largely responsible for the oil cooler clogging problem with the 6.0. The ELC contains no silicates and is good for 300k miles without any additives so it is pretty much a lifetime antifreeze. That nips the oil cooler clogging problem at the source.

Lots of guys are having really good results with the Rotella T5 10w30 and it is pretty cheap at Wally World. I prefer to use Amsoil myself. You want to run either a 5w40 or a 5 or 10w30.

Don't baby your 6.0, run it hard. It needs to be worked and the turbo needs to see full boost on a regular basis. If it doesn't it will end up with soot build up that prevents the VGT vanes from working.

There is all kinds of information on this site that will help with whatever goals you set for your truck. You can spend an awful lot of time here just reading and learning about your truck, what works and what doesn't.

Enjoy your new truck and welcome to the org!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 AM

all so with the kitty and muffler delete u will see better turbo response or at least i did, i cut it off at the cat and have no regrets, beside u get that a distinct whistle, that u can hear from blocks away haha
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Get the K&N out of your mind spend your money on something that counts
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.