First Timer Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Timer Questions

First off, Hello to all. I have been reading forums all day trying to decide what I might call home. This forum seems to have the most knowledge and be the most polite, so here I am. As stated in my thread title, I am a first timer in many ways here. First off, I am a first time Ford owner, secondly and more importantly I am a first time diesel owner. My family is growing and we decided we needed more room. After lots of research and many test drives we came to the conclusion that the Excursion with the 6.0 Powerstroke was the right fit for our family. So, this past weekend I purchased a 2004 Ford Excursion Limited. So far, I am loving this thing, however I find myself completely overwhelmed. I am a big time do it yourselfer, and do all the maintenance on my automobiles, and plan on doing them on the Excursion after I get myself well educated. This is where you guys come in. I have been reading thread after thread all day long and feel like I have gotten a lot of good knowledge. However, I think that a lot of my questions pertain to region more than anything. So, I thought I would post some of my direct questions and see what I get. Before the questions, here is my truck information:

2004 Excursion Limited 2WD
6.0L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
100,700 miles
100% Stock
East Central Indiana (100 degrees some summer days, Sub Zero some winter days)

I have absolutely no idea where this thing is at maintenance wise, so this weekend I plan on doing the following:

Oil Change
Oil Filter Change
Fuel Filters Change (Both filters)
Air Filter Change
Coolant Flush and Fill

So finally the questions

1 Is there anything else that I should change out?
2 What Oil would you recommend for year round use in my region?
3 At what temperature do you normally start plugging in your block heaters?
4 Do I need to add any fuel additives during the winter? If so, what works best?
5 What kind of gas mileage should I realistically be expecting, I have heard everywhere from 12 to 25.
6 What else do I need to know about this alien in my driveway?

Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wouldn't hurt to do the trans filter.
Year round use? A 5w40. All 5w40s i've seen are syn.
I plug in my heater around 37 and down. But it's a wimpy truck in the cold.
Fuel additives are never bad, cold or hot. In the cold, most people add the white bottle of Power Service. OptiLube makes a good winter formula.
For the coolant it's HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended you get a coolant filter. These blocks are sand cast and have a LOT of sand in the system. Dieselsite sells a good affordable one. I built my own and it comes out to a little less than theirs, but not a huge difference. It's worth it. For coolant, use a red Extended Life Coolant. CAT, International, Shell, anything. That's the good stuff for diesels.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcooke View Post
Oil Change
Oil Filter Change
Fuel Filters Change (Both filters)
Air Filter Change
Coolant Flush and Fill

So finally the questions

1 Is there anything else that I should change out?

USE MOTORCRAFT FILTERS OR RACOR!!!!!
Tranny fluid. Mercon LV is the new fluid for these trannies, Mercon SP is still available. Time to flush the coolant also. Get a ELC coolant, You find threads on this topic. Transfer case, front and rear ends

2 What Oil would you recommend for year round use in my region?

Some are starting to go with Rotella T5 10w-30, I will be changing to it next fill

3 At what temperature do you normally start plugging in your block heaters?
Me? I start near the mid thirties and lower

4 Do I need to add any fuel additives during the winter? If so, what works best?

Yes, Most are using the Diesel Kleen in the WHITE bottle during the winter, then gray bottle in summer. I use either one every tank. There are others. I also run 2 stroke oil every tank, I get the ashless at Walmart, about an ounce per gallon, it did quiet the motor some.

5 What kind of gas mileage should I realistically be expecting, I have heard everywhere from 12 to 25.
You wont see 25, sorry

6 What else do I need to know about this alien in my driveway?

They love to run, sitting isn't good for these motors, get on it every once in a while

Thanks for any and all help.
I don't know how many things are different on an X than my F350

Enjoy the new ride!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Also, here are some links you need to keep handy:

Powerstroke 6.0L Technical Intro Manual

6.0L Bible Table of Contents

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi.../DOBDSM404.pdf

http://www.dieseltalk.com/support/DTC.pdf

This for VIN descriptions:

Super Duty And Heavy Duty: ______SUPER DUTY Tech Folder_____ - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Diesel Technician Society

Coolant Change 101 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go here and post that you would like the spread sheets, Packed with info, you must give your e-mail address to get them, they are worth your time to get.

Information on the 6.0L for new owners - Page 111 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also, you need to know for future reference whether your engine is an early build or late build, you will be asked. Look at the valve cover passenger side to see if there is a sensor called the ICP right under the alternator. If it is there, Late build, if not , early build. It is the brown colored sensor lower part of picture

Have I over loaded you? Don't want your X to be an alien to you. Also, get some gauges!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Welcome aboard
The only thing i can add the the mix is a good set of gauges i like the Edge Insight with pyro it is important to know the difference in EOT-ECT (EOT=oil ECT=coolent) max is 15 degrees going 55-60mph freeway over that your oil cooler and or EGR cooler are getting plugged with casting sand this is where the coolent filter comes into play get one ASAP mine is running 2-6 degs. A fuel pressure gauge is also important anything under 45 lbs kills injectors use only Ford filters and a oil by-pass is good to keep the oil clean the stock filter cleans it to 20 microns and the by-pass cleans to 2 microns + they like Syn Oil.
2 stroker
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot for the replies. I do have the ICP Sensor, so I guess I have a late build. What does this mean for me? Also, I hear a lot of talk on hear about how important it is to do an EGR delete and a Coolant Filter. I do not plan on trying to create a Monster Truck here. I don't need tons of power or anything crazy. I just want a nice comfortable dependable family vehichle to take me into the 200K mile area. Are these things that I really need to do? Also, do you guys put any additives in with your motor oil?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Your ICP will be easier to replace if and when it has any problems, early build is a pain to get to. And there are some other things that come up, but that is as needed info.

Coolant filter helps keep system clean, but am now hearing we should be using something other than Fords Gold coolant. (I'm not sold yet) And should be an Extended Life Coolant=ELC. The Ford coolant has silicates in it that apparently drop out and plug the oil cooler which then causes issues in the EGR cooler.

You need to get some gauges to check your ECT vs EOT temps. Not more than a 15 degree spread while cruising down the highway.

I use the Scangauge II. It is pretty inexpensive to keep track of all sorts of readings.

Edge insight is a good one also.

Scangauge II - $160 or so.

Edge Insight with EGT probe = $350 or so.

If you are just going to keeping it as is, it has plenty of power, just keep up with the maintenance. Buy your fuel at stations with high volume sales.

Also, all those links and the Spread sheet info will give you a lot of info on this engine. What to watch for. Don't let all this info scare you. Knowledge is a good thing with these motors. Seems the more you know, the less you worry.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

yeah dont be afraid to "drive it like you stole it" once in a while, keeps the turbo clean of soot and rust
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

^^^^^what He said. The original owner of my truck only drove 28000 in 5 years. Oasis showed 3 turbo placements! Don't use it, you will lose it!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM

yeah my truck is an 04 and bought it with 35k now i put it up to 42k and i got it in the begining of august, but once in a while when i roll up to some one at a red light ill just punch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.