EOT and ECT TEMPS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hoffman Estates
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT and ECT TEMPS

What is the most temperature spread you should see between EOT and ECT for the 6L diesel.

I have heard no more than 15 degree spread but I don't know if that true or not.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Its true. If you're seeing more than a 15 degree difference, you have a problem with your oil cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hoffman Estates
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I'm seeing a 20 to 30 degree spread should I be highly worried.

If so what else should I have done when I get this fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,971
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005powerstroke View Post
If I'm seeing a 20 to 30 degree spread should I be highly worried.

If so what else should I have done when I get this fixed.
Yeah man, that's in dangerous territory there. I would get the oil cooler rebuilt ASAP. I would also do something about the EGR cooler while you're at it. If you don't have to worry about emissions, delete it. If emissions is a concern install the Bulletproof diesel upgraded egr cooler and never have to worry about it again.

Another thing I would recommend is to have your cooling system flushed with VC-9 BEFORE the cooler is rebuilt and replace the Ford Gold coolant with a good ELC coolant (red) from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Texaco, Zerex. The Ford Gold coolant is a major factor in your oil cooler clogging up due to the silicates and the high temps seen in the EGR cooler. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. Adding a coolant filter isn't a bad idea either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where do you take your readings for the EOT and the ECT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,971
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They are sensors that the PCM monitors. I use an Edge Insight with will display anything the PCM monitors. If you don't go that route you have to install separate gauges to read the temps. Highly recommend the Edge Insight (including the new CS and CTS). Best bang for the buck in engine monitoring solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Yeah man, that's in dangerous territory there. I would get the oil cooler rebuilt ASAP. I would also do something about the EGR cooler while you're at it. If you don't have to worry about emissions, delete it. If emissions is a concern install the Bulletproof diesel upgraded egr cooler and never have to worry about it again.

Another thing I would recommend is to have your cooling system flushed with VC-9 BEFORE the cooler is rebuilt and replace the Ford Gold coolant with a good ELC coolant (red) from Cat, Rotella, Fleetrite, Texaco, Zerex. The Ford Gold coolant is a major factor in your oil cooler clogging up due to the silicates and the high temps seen in the EGR cooler. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. Adding a coolant filter isn't a bad idea either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
They are sensors that the PCM monitors. I use an Edge Insight with will display anything the PCM monitors. If you don't go that route you have to install separate gauges to read the temps. Highly recommend the Edge Insight (including the new CS and CTS). Best bang for the buck in engine monitoring solutions.
Some good information right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not to high jack the thread, but I was wondering...Has anyone noticed a higher temperature difference when the weather is hotter. I notice a temp difference of about 13-14 degrees when it's around 100 degrees and a difference of 8 - 11 degrees when it's around 80. ECT is around 190 and EOT varies from 298 to 204. Is this normal and have others seen something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 20
Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, that's normal. And you'll also see a bigger difference when towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 1,581
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Here is mine..I havent "permanently" installed it yet because I am running some ideas through my head.

These are my temps though which seem to be pretty good. I am on cruise control on the freeway at 70mph..its about 65-70 degrees out. This is the first time I have monitored them and it happened to be at night and a little cooler out. The max the EOT got was about 202 and the max ECT was about 198.

Weird thing is that when I am on the residential streets rather than the freeway,stop and go, the temps seem to spread a little further apart. The most they will spread is 10-11 degrees but usually close the spread pretty quick. They just seem to fluctuate more in stop and go. Is this normal?

Click on the picture...it is a video so you can see the Edge CTS


Last edited by armyguy209; 10-15-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors