coolant temperature - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant temperature

What a great web site. I am relatively new to the powerstroke world. I purchaced a 2005 powerstroke with 55k miles on it about 2 months ago and it has been a great truck. As I understand it reading all the information, the engine oil temperature and the coolant temperature should trend with each other and be within 20 degrees of each other. For the most part this is what I have. When I first start out my coolant temperature climbs faster than my engine oil temperature. Once they get to ~180-200 degrees they trend the same. My coolant temperature runs higher than my engine oil temperature both under normal load and light/oderate towing. This is a little different than I would have expected. During heavy towing the engine oil temp is slighly higher (~5 degrees). Is it normal for coolant temp to be higher than engine oil temp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemott View Post
What a great web site. I am relatively new to the powerstroke world. I purchaced a 2005 powerstroke with 55k miles on it about 2 months ago and it has been a great truck. As I understand it reading all the information, the engine oil temperature and the coolant temperature should trend with each other and be within 20 degrees of each other. For the most part this is what I have. When I first start out my coolant temperature climbs faster than my engine oil temperature. Once they get to ~180-200 degrees they trend the same. My coolant temperature runs higher than my engine oil temperature both under normal load and light/oderate towing. This is a little different than I would have expected. During heavy towing the engine oil temp is slighly higher (~5 degrees). Is it normal for coolant temp to be higher than engine oil temp?
No the EOT will run hotter than the ECT and the max difference is 15 degs or you have cooler problems. Mine is running 2-4 degs diff ECT 192 EOT 196, the most that i have seen is 218 coolent and 228 oil pulling my 5er 90+ degs outside 2 1/2 miles 6% grade. What are you useing to get your temps
2 stroker
Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I bought the truck, the previous owner had a bullybog programmer installed. I can monitor almost any parameter I want to.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Typically the EOT and the ECT is within a few degrees (`5-7 degrees) except as the engine is warming up than my ECT is ~20 degrees warmer.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When warming up it is normal for the coolant to come up to temp faster than the oil. When at operating temp the coolant is normally a few degrees lower than oil temp.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Your coolent will come up faster due to the fact that you have a thermostat. That is what a thermostat does, it holds the water in the block till you reach your normal opperating temps. then it opens for cooling flow and that is ALL it does. The engine oil will run warmer at normal opperating conditions then water. The oil cooler is cooling oil with the coolent water curculating threw the oil cooler. If you start to see a significant diff. between with no obvious explanation ''ie... steep climbs pulling a load ect....'' for long periods of time then ''Houston you have a problem'' simple really, If your coolent temp. holds good but your oil runs warmer in excess of 12 degrees are more then you need to replace your oil cooler being that this is the only cooling device in your engine oil cooling system. If they both are abnormaly high, then I would look into the water cooling system, pump psi....water level.....puken....ect..... I need a beer! As far as monitering these temps go, I say go with the mechanical ones that point........LOL

Last edited by First Ford; 10-05-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Guys I've been reading all these posts about engine coolant temps, and heres what i got....
I have a 2005 F-250 6.0 crew cab short bed 4X4 and i just replace head gasket and bolts, i also replaced piston rings and honed the cyls, 3 months prior to that i replaced tha EGR cooler and EOC as well. The coolant temp used to be in the 188-196 range and EOT was always 10+ from their, now since the fix I'm having ECT of 191-208 all the time even wile stoped and idle...... EOT is still in the 10+ range.. I've had this truck for over a year and until i installed the EDGE CTS i started looking more and more at temps. Are all these temps NORMAL???

The Othe question is how long do I wait untill i program a Tow setting (EDGE 2 Setting)???
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSAPOSRACING View Post
Hey Guys I've been reading all these posts about engine coolant temps, and heres what i got....
I have a 2005 F-250 6.0 crew cab short bed 4X4 and i just replace head gasket and bolts, i also replaced piston rings and honed the cyls, 3 months prior to that i replaced tha EGR cooler and EOC as well. The coolant temp used to be in the 188-196 range and EOT was always 10+ from their, now since the fix I'm having ECT of 191-208 all the time even wile stoped and idle...... EOT is still in the 10+ range.. I've had this truck for over a year and until i installed the EDGE CTS i started looking more and more at temps. Are all these temps NORMAL???

The Othe question is how long do I wait untill i program a Tow setting (EDGE 2 Setting)???
BOLTS??? You mean you replaced those crappy TTY bolts for ARP studs, right?

Your ECT should be right between 192-196 when warmed up unless your towing. If your getting below that when fully warmed up, change your thermostat. These thermostats (if you use the Motorcraft one) fail in the open position.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

YES ARP!!!!! Is their any other way to go??? You wont catch me using the OEM studs!! I got a new T stat put in there as well!! I mean, it runs fine but im just not used to looking at temp being as high as it is. I have 5 buddys of mine that have either the same or just about the same Truck, but I'm the onley one with the Edge Programer, so I get all temp readings!!

Thanks for the info, but if you got more I'll take it!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
information regurgitator

I have more info for you. Click HERE and read up on some info every 6.0 owner should know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.