EOT and ECT differences - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT and ECT differences

Hey guys, just hooked up my dashhawk to my 05 6.0. On the way home tonight it was about 55 degrees out and I was on the highway (60ish mph). I was monitoring my EOT and ECT, obviously fluctuated a bit but there was about a 3 -10 degree diffence between the two with the EOT being higher throughout the drive - temps between about 175 - 195 degrees. Sound about right. I know the rule of thumb is 15 degrees difference and over and you might have some issues but is 10 degrees pretty normal at freeway speeds? Thanks

Last edited by 70cuda; 10-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yes
Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Yup perfectly normal... me on the other hand am seeing 176* coolant temps and 206* oil temps on normal 65mph cruise control driving
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

I never see less than 190 cruising at 65,(it will drop lower if I lift my foot and coast a little it will drop to 185) normal degree day (60-90) Might want to look at the "T" stat. Your ECT seems a little low.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks guys, I thought I was fine but wanted to check. amdriven, I put 175 -195 but really the 175 is the low, low end of what I saw, more consistently in teh 180s range. I'll pay more careful attention this week while driving and report back.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
both of mine are always in the 180-190 range. i have never been in the 200's at all.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

70cuda, when I first got my Scangauge, I was really watching the temps. Since I have had it a while, I'm now real comfortable with where it runs. Less concern now, now more enjoyment!

The coolant system on these motors are pretty darn good, if they are kept clean. Mine cools pretty quick. Coolant filter seems to be a must. Funny, people come here and ask what the noise they are hearing, a loud roar, it's the fan coming on. If I'm not pulling my trailer, the thing rarely comes on. When it does, you know it!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 PM

Well today was coolant flush day for me, drove the truck on several good drives with just water in it as I was flushing. Temps seem to be more in the 190 range, a bit higher than I had thought. At one point the oil did creep up to 202. Any insight on this, would running just water cause warmer temps?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda View Post
Well today was coolant flush day for me, drove the truck on several good drives with just water in it as I was flushing. Temps seem to be more in the 190 range, a bit higher than I had thought. At one point the oil did creep up to 202. Any insight on this, would running just water cause warmer temps?

Most likely so. It seems like you are fine, just keep an eye on things.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Finally got the CAT ELC in and coolant filter sorted out, further monitoring of the eot and ect and the temps are definately higher than I originally thought. It was only in the mid 60's here today and I took my trailer (26 foot travel trailer) in to get serviced. On the short 15 minute tow I saw E0T between about 205 - 210 and ECTs about 200 - 205, once the trailer was off both ranges dropped by about 10 degrees, these seem high to me considering the ambient temp, how much warmer can I expect it to get on a hot day in the summer? Are these temps too hot, what is the "too hot" point? As a side note I did tow the same trailer in very hot weather all summer, with the Ford Gold ELC, no coolant filter and without monitoring the temps on my Dashhawk and never had an overheating issue based on the factory gauge??? Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.