At what point am I just kidding myself? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At what point am I just kidding myself?

I posted this in another forum, but would like a little more exposure on the topic.

I lurk here and there absorbing the vast knowledge available by so many and like many others I cant leave well enough alone. I keep scouring the site trying to find more information in regards to my next mod

In the quest for improving mileage and gaining hp I started to wonder at what point am I just kidding kidding myself and no longer increasing efficiency. My upcoming mod list in order goes: airdog II (current pump cant keep up), spare ficm to have tuned by IDP (mild or moderate?), fluidamper, intake elbow, intercooler.

Anything I can do to increase power and efficiency I want to do, but when does efficiency begin take a toll?

I thought stepping up on injectors (155 max if I did them) is that point. I considered a turbo upgrade, but it's too far down the road to contemplate right now.

I ask the question though, because another post had someone stating 23 mpgs and he had injector upgrades. Although in no way do I ever expect to achieve those numbers, but I am willing to keep modding as long as efficiency is not negatively affected. If it remains the same that is also acceptable to me.

Although I do not yet have the toyhauler I want I plan my mods around expecting my truck to pull a 15,000 lb toyhauler (which is why I want a spare ficm to remove the tuned one when towing time comes around if egts are a concern).

Any ideas when Im just getting power hungry and throwing mileage out the window?

Thanks guys,
Logan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Get a 2WD single cab F250, keep stock size all season tires on it, regear to 3.50, and get a programmer that doesn't adjust the fuel and timing, but only makes the shifts sooner. Drive 55MPH. Then you will get 25MPG

OR,

take the $2,000 you would spend on the above mods, buy a 1997 Saturn, keep it stock, drive 85MPH everywhere, and get 28MPG
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastTRX View Post
I posted this in another forum, but would like a little more exposure on the topic.

I lurk here and there absorbing the vast knowledge available by so many and like many others I cant leave well enough alone. I keep scouring the site trying to find more information in regards to my next mod

In the quest for improving mileage and gaining hp I started to wonder at what point am I just kidding kidding myself and no longer increasing efficiency. My upcoming mod list in order goes: airdog II (current pump cant keep up), spare ficm to have tuned by IDP (mild or moderate?), fluidamper, intake elbow, intercooler.

These mods really aren't going to buy you anything on a near stock truck. I would rethink these.

Anything I can do to increase power and efficiency I want to do, but when does efficiency begin take a toll?

I thought stepping up on injectors (155 max if I did them) is that point. I considered a turbo upgrade, but it's too far down the road to contemplate right now.

I ask the question though, because another post had someone stating 23 mpgs and he had injector upgrades. Although in no way do I ever expect to achieve those numbers, but I am willing to keep modding as long as efficiency is not negatively affected. If it remains the same that is also acceptable to me.

Although I do not yet have the toyhauler I want I plan my mods around expecting my truck to pull a 15,000 lb toyhauler (which is why I want a spare ficm to remove the tuned one when towing time comes around if egts are a concern).

I don't think a moderate tuned FICM would be a problem here But according to Swamps you want to stay with a 48v FICM and not go with a 58v upgrade.

Any ideas when Im just getting power hungry and throwing mileage out the window?

Thanks guys,
Logan
Comments in blue.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 AM

Or I could ride my streetbike and get over 40 mpg... or better yet ride my bicycle and not waste any fuel.

Not quite the answer (or even general direction of my question) I was looking for, but thanks for the free bump

Im just trying to get an idea of when modding for hp starts killing mileage.

Not looking for insane mileage numbers either. Im realistic. Im happy with the 15 I get now. I'd rather drive my truck getting 15mpg highway than drive my wifes TL which gets 28-30 mpg highway. Just curious where that hp/efficiency line starts getting crossed.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Comments in blue.
Thanks. I know those mods won't help much in terms of hp, but figured they wouldn't hurt. The intake elbow is only if I find a used one cheap enough (not sure I'd pay full price) and assuming I added an intake which I'm still tossing around given the general concensus of the stock intake. The fluidamper is more of a longevity mod for the bearings and so forth (I wanna run the truck til it wears out). The intercooler simply for keeping egt's down once the towing starts(not high on my list seeing as its expensive and like you said "won't do much on a stock truck").

Thanks for the input though. Its always appreciated.

A secondary reason for the spare ficm is california emissions (assuming I can tolerate living here long enough to make it until the next emissions test). Not sure if the smog machine can detect non-stock parameters of the ficm or if the "smoke test" will be any different.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
ive seen all kinds of claim of higher mpgs.... general rule ive seen a tuner mightr give 1mpg gain. bigger tires, intake elbows, inter coolers, etc do nothing for improvements. the best bet would be to reduce weight, wind resistance and load on the motor. if your pulling alot of weight keep the stock gearing. if your not reduce the gearing. some have claimed gains from injectors but for the price you could buy a lot of fuel. your best bet would be to save your money make the power you want and focus on reliability. these trucks are not fuel misers. they do get decent fuel mpgs vs a gas motor doing the same work yet providing more power.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nothing I've done to my '06 has really paid for itself with an increase in fuel economy...........but, the wife doesn't know that.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
Nothing I've done to my '06 has really paid for itself with an increase in fuel economy...........but, the wife doesn't know that.
keep them in the dark.... well you know the rest
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastTRX View Post

Thanks guys,
Logan
To me , efficiency has two components , maximum power and torque while increasing fuel mileage or without sacrificing fuel mileage. and payback on the investment. If I simply needed additional HP and TQ to accomplish a specific task then I'd go for the power and I wont worry about efficiency.

Case in point , hypothetically, if 325/570 delivered 10 mpg towing a 15,000 toy hauler however, 400/750 delivered 13 mpg , then I might consider it. However, only IF I towed enough to get fuel cost payback on the investment otherwise, I'd live with 10 mpg as I dont feel compelled to drag race with a 15k load anyhow.

At the end of the day its all about you and what you define as efficiency and what you are willing to sacrifice. There is no free lunch. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
LOL. None of my mods have paid for themselves in mileage (I don't mod with that intention either), but I smile more with each mod I've done to the truck and enjoy the added benefit of better or unchanged mileage (unlike my buddys mustang which keeps dropping mileage with each mod).

I pretty much have my list together of mods I want to do. I considered a turbo upgrade, but find it very unlikely that will ever happen (okay so I haven't found a way to convince the wife really). I love my truck in it's current form, but always try finding ways to improve it (i need to stop on the truck soon and work on getting the streetbike track only ready. that ones strictly a toy, but when i got the truck it went to the backburner for a bit).

Maybe my mod list does have an end to it... wait I just noticed the 2008-2010 door panel upgrades... nevermind the list keeps going.

Im surprised my wife hasn't tried adding parental controls to limit me from visiting the forums. Each time I get off the computer I say "Sweetie, guess what else I found for the truck!" LOL

Too many hobbies, not enough money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.