6.0 PSD are they really that bad of a motor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 PSD are they really that bad of a motor?

I have a 2004 6.0 PSD and it seems all I hear of is how bad these motors are. Does anyone with one of these motors have a good experience to report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to trhland
all i have to say is there all over the place. lots of them out there. i have one. there not as bad as people on hear say remember on this site your mostly going to hear problems about trucks .so far mines fine lots of power
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The 6.0 is NOT a bad engine. There were some early ones with problems yes but all in all it is not a bad enigine
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i think it is a great engine, i have had a few issues with mine but nothing that the warranty wouldnt take care of. lots of power, love the way it drives. every new motor has bugs to work out, and finally it seems that Ford has worked out most of the bugs. i wouldnt worry too much.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 AM
LTJDS

Talking 03'-04'

03'-04' have been prone to wiring harness problems and blown headgaskets.
Among other issues the above two issues in those specific model years , have had the most complaints. I have an 06' and (knock on wood) I have heard of or read of much less problems with the 05' and newer 6.0 PSD's.
The ONLY surefire way to find out what exactly you are gettin into is to have someone run an OASIS Report on the VIN # of the truck you may be lookin at.
A few changes during manufacturing and TSB's have IMO really helped in werkin most all of the bugs out of these 6.0L engines.
Again my is that 05' and newer have less issues to contend with.
If your ? was posted as a pre-requisite prior to a purchase, protect yourself and get an OASIS Report based on vehicle VIN.
There are plenty of happy 6.0L owners out there....
Old 06-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIEG1960 View Post
I have a 2004 6.0 PSD and it seems all I hear of is how bad these motors are. Does anyone with one of these motors have a good experience to report.
its a matter of opinion. I think they make great power, sound great, and have a great truck connected to them. As far as the engine goes for reliability and durability you will get a lot of opinions and feedback. As mentioned the majority of people are on forums due to having problems with there vehicle or looking for feedback on aftermarket products. But if you do look at the grander scheme Ford is well aware of all of the problems the 6.0L has been. If I were to do it over I prolly wouldnt have bought my 6.0L but I bought mine to drive it a few months when I need it most and sell it and make a buck...to each his own. If I were planning on buying one and keeping it forever the 6.0L would deffinatly not be my first pick. Goodluck with yours
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalker29 View Post
i think it is a great engine, i have had a few issues with mine but nothing that the warranty wouldnt take care of. lots of power, love the way it drives. every new motor has bugs to work out, and finally it seems that Ford has worked out most of the bugs. i wouldnt worry too much.
Yea what he said The warranty took care of my problems.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me@yahoo.com View Post
If I were planning on buying one and keeping it forever the 6.0L would deffinatly not be my first pick. Goodluck with yours
what would be your first pick?

im diesel hunting... dont know whether to search hard for a clean 7.3 or bite it and go wtih an 04+ 6.0?
every 6.0 ive looked at has over or right at about 100k (online, have yet to drive any)... id like to hold onto my purchase for 5-6 years.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

I am very happy with my 6.0, as said before they got the bugs worked out for the 05 and up. Just take care of it and it should treat you well. The way that i see it is that most of the headgasket problems were on modded trucks, but i'm not sure. If your headgaskets go out then get studs and you will be fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM

(knock on wood) my 6.0 has been problem free for about 10K now, it now has 30K on the ticker, i did not know about the oasis report thingy until i was a member here. if you are running into trucks with over 100K, change your search criteria some how (price or lower mileage), seems like most of the problems are from having so many mods, overall the 6.0 to me is a good motor. my truck below is factory stock...........so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.