Afternarket y pipe w/ egr delete installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Afternarket y pipe w/ egr delete installation

I currently have a cracked y pipe or leaking exhaust connection near the turbo. I can hear hissing and smell the exhaust. Still need to hunt it down, but was planning on putting a egr delete pipe in so figured I would just replace the y pipe since they usually crack anyway.

Has anyone installed one of these or something like this?

Ford Products

If so what other parts are needed to complete this project? How hard
is it on a scale of 1-10? I just replaced a head on my 1994 f-150 4x4 and that was about a 6-7 for me. How long will it take?

I still have the egr intact, but with the new pipe it won't be connected to the exhaust. So do I just cap it off? If so how or is there a part I can buy to do this?

Last, Are there any other y pipe out there I should be looking at? Trying keep the cost reasonable and the truck is stock.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 AM

bump bump bump
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you having EGR problems?

What other mods do you have?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Bumpkin View Post
I currently have a cracked y pipe or leaking exhaust connection near the turbo. I can hear hissing and smell the exhaust. Still need to hunt it down, but was planning on putting a egr delete pipe in so figured I would just replace the y pipe since they usually crack anyway.

Has anyone installed one of these or something like this?

Ford Products

If so what other parts are needed to complete this project? How hard
is it on a scale of 1-10? I just replaced a head on my 1994 f-150 4x4 and that was about a 6-7 for me. How long will it take?

I still have the egr intact, but with the new pipe it won't be connected to the exhaust. So do I just cap it off? If so how or is there a part I can buy to do this?

Last, Are there any other y pipe out there I should be looking at? Trying keep the cost reasonable and the truck is stock.

thanks in advance
I just put in that Y pipe full solid, it is an excellent product and they gave me great service and quick shipping. Definately get this one over the stock junk!
I didnt do my EGR delete so cant tell you much on that, either way you will be taking the turbo out so get a gasket & O ring kit for it, I cleaned my turbo as well while it was out pretty easy to do.
If you have an '05 up (sorry forgot what you had) you may want to consider getting the kit to upgrade the STC fitting on the HPOP, I have less than 50mi since Y pipe replacement and I have HPOP leak so one of these weekends back in I go
The mechanic that put my EGR delete in used a new coolant pipe (specially made with fittings) tossed the EGR cooler and blocked the outlet on the Y Pipe.
I would say the Y pipe job would take about a day, took me longer cause I clean stuff and paint crap, a little OCD I guess.
I sent a PM to another member on the process I did for the Y pipe if you want I could forward it to you check out.

Last edited by DerwoodF350; 10-04-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Are you having EGR problems?

What other mods do you have?
No mods and no problems. just want to strike first
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerwoodF350 View Post
I just put in that Y pipe full solid, it is an excellent product and they gave me great service and quick shipping. Definately get this one over the stock junk!
I didnt do my EGR delete so cant tell you much on that, either way you will be taking the turbo out so get a gasket & O ring kit for it, I cleaned my turbo as well while it was out pretty easy to do.
If you have an '05 up (sorry forgot what you had) you may want to consider getting the kit to upgrade the STC fitting on the HPOP, I have less than 50mi since Y pipe replacement and I have HPOP leak so one of these weekends back in I go
The mechanic that put my EGR delete in used a new coolant pipe (specially made with fittings) tossed the EGR cooler and blocked the outlet on the Y Pipe.
I would say the Y pipe job would take about a day, took me longer cause I clean stuff and paint crap, a little OCD I guess.
I sent a PM to another member on the process I did for the Y pipe if you want I could forward it to you check out.
please send me the process otherwise I'll be going in blind.

thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used the liberator EGR delete and am very happy with it. I think the quality is better than some of the other kits out there. It will come with pretty decent directions and I've found some good write ups searching here.

Time wise it probably took me a good 10 hours but I was able to work on it in stages since my truck isn't a daily driver. One piece of advice I was given was to replace the oil cooler since you'll have everything apart anyway. Seemed like a good idea so I did it and added a coolant bypass filter as well.

Scale of 1-10 I'd say 6-7, it's mostly just the process of taking everything off the top of the engine then putting it back on. You might want to consider new intake gaskets too, depending on the condition of yours.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbkr View Post
I used the liberator EGR delete and am very happy with it. I think the quality is better than some of the other kits out there. It will come with pretty decent directions and I've found some good write ups searching here.

Time wise it probably took me a good 10 hours but I was able to work on it in stages since my truck isn't a daily driver. One piece of advice I was given was to replace the oil cooler since you'll have everything apart anyway. Seemed like a good idea so I did it and added a coolant bypass filter as well.

Scale of 1-10 I'd say 6-7, it's mostly just the process of taking everything off the top of the engine then putting it back on. You might want to consider new intake gaskets too, depending on the condition of yours.
I wasn't planning and completely removing the egr just blocking it off, so I doesn't receive any exhaust. My understanding is the egr should last quite a while if it doesn't melt down due to exhaust gases.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM

PMd you the process, sorry for the delay busy with work and stuff lately.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Bumpkin View Post
I wasn't planning and completely removing the egr just blocking it off, so I doesn't receive any exhaust. My understanding is the egr should last quite a while if it doesn't melt down due to exhaust gases.
In my honest opinion, if you are going to go in that far, I would go ahead and delete the cooler. The trouble with these coolers come from the coolant side not the exhaust side. While the elevated temperatures from exhaust may contribute, it is still a coolant issue. By only removing the exhaust flow, you still have the chance of the coolant passages failing and dumping coolant into the intake. Back to square one... So you have prolonged the life, but not prevented the failure by eliminating the exhaust flow and not coolant flow as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.