Thinking of making the switch... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of making the switch...

I currently own a 01 Cummins powered POS. The engine and drivetrain is superb. Anything dodge is garbage and im growing tired of trying to keep it all in once piece.

The only trucks i like are the 05-7 Fords. They are and likely will remain the best looking truck to ever hit the market.

My only concern is the 6.0. From my readings 06/7 are the years to get. I will not even bring the truck home before getting it studded/EGR delete/bullet proof oil cooler, the revised turbo drain lines, etc, basically, buy truck, drive to TNT diesel in MD and scratch a 5k check to make it..hopefully as trouble free as my dodge has been. 70k miles on the Cummins and not a single hiccup, failure, nothing. Filters and fluid is all its needed.

I am super religious about maintenance which seems to be key on these trucks so i think im good there.

Now my other concerns are about the platform itself. Are the front ends as stout as they should be? Or are they like the dodges where every 50k miles something will need to be fixed and every 100k generally the whole thing needs to be gone over to the tune of about 1500 bucks every other year.

Anyway, whats the basic run down of problems on the 6.0 AFTER the common areas i mentioned have been addressed and the common issues with the truck itself of the likes of how the dodges have front end issues, weak trans(i know the 5r110 is pretty damn stout stock, but just how tough is it?) weak brakes, etc etc...

Thanks for your time!

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
80k on my 04 non studded original egr and cooler. best truck ive ever owned, just get an oasis report before you buy one
Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

With those mods you will have done, you are good to go. Maintenance items should be all you need. Maybe brakes around 100k. My dads 99 has 210k with the original ball joints. Just do what you plan on doing and drive the he!! out of it, you'd be surprised.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM

I had a 05 with 100K miles on it. I beat the crap out of it and the only probs I had were blown HG and oil coolers. The truck passed quads in the whoops, had water in the cab when out wheeling one night and raced people with trailer in tow. I will buy another when funding allows.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM

It does seem the internet and bad mechanics have turned the 6.0 problem into a bigger problem than it should be.

How good is the stock trans? Only power mods i will add is a 5" MBRP and the spartan phalanx setup to get all the gauges in one unit. I have heard the stock intake on the 6.0 is superb and needs not be messed with, correct?

The biggest thing keeping me wanting the Ford is the feel of it is so much better than a comparable Dodge. I cross shopped a 07 5.9 and a 06 PSD recently, both on the same lot. The dodge had much better bottom end but the truck itself felt so cheap compared to the Ford which is the big selling point on the Ford truck to me. I spend 100 miles a day in my truck and im tired of being in a truck that feels like its screws are coming loose, the Ford with 140k miles felt tighter than the dodge with 17k miles on it.

OH and stock fuel delivery. Would i be better off getting the AD2 165 to eliminate the stock filter and fuel bowl assy. and run the fleetguard filters which on the cummins platform have proven to be superior filters to the stock ones by a good margin.

I will probably sell the dodge at trade in value, got offered 8k for it to some kid who wants a solid affordable rig. So, that money will go to the upgrades on the Ford since id like to do it all at once and get it over with.

Jason
Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
It does seem the internet and bad mechanics have turned the 6.0 problem into a bigger problem than it should be.
Not exactly... The 6.0 has its fair share of problems off the showroom floor. In the 03 and 04 year, stock trucks blew hg's left and right, also the EGR coolers.

05 06 07 has alot less problems than the other two years but still feature the the headbolt number, they are updated bolts but still are not enough per cylinder lol.

Bad mechanichs that cant properly DIAGNOSE the 6.0 are a dime a dozen and do give it a bad name, but I know plenty that sat and still sit at dealerships all over, so its not just the "internet"

As far as running a tuner on these with stock headbolts and egr, it just increases the speed on the clock for when your 6.0l will fail
Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 PM

I was referring to the late model trucks since by then the problems were well known and so were the fixes...

No denyin the 6.0 has its problems.

Jason
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
yep, and I believe a "fixed" 6liter is just about as reliable as most 7.3
Old 09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

These trucks are 10x more solid than that POS dodge you got..... I'll give you the fact that the 5.9 is bulletproof but the rest of it is s**t.

I had a 2005 F-350 and you probably have to do brakes every 60-70k plus regular oil changes.

You might want to do a go over the front end every 150k but it should stay pretty solid.

Also, those 5r110's are solid even when they are tuned..... There are plenty of people on here pushing an additional 100-130 extra hp through it and if doesnt fail.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Jason, PM Sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.