New to forum-Need 6.0 info! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to forum-Need 6.0 info!

I'm not only only new to the forum, but seriously shopping for my first diesel I'm needing a truck to use as a daily driver as well as pulling(not too heavy) at least once a week. The truck will not be chipped or programmed. A used 6.0 will fit into my budget so my question is can I buy a 6.0 that will be dependable? I know not ALL of them are crap, but is it a crapshoot? After buying the truck I don't want to spend big $$$ on repairs and/or modifactions just to make it reliable. I'm a life long Ford man so it's not easy to rule them out in my shopping! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Yes you can find one that is dependable. Here is some info for buying used.

buying used, what to look for? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here is the first video in a series from Powerstroke Help.com. Look for the others when you click on this one. you will need to click the video a couple times for it to take you to youtube website.

I would buy a Scangauge II or an Edge Insight to help you look over the trucks you look at. Look at the readings and such to verify temps. ECT and EOT specifically. When you are done, you have gauges for your truck! Good luck!

Also, go here and post a new message requesting the spread sheets. Include your e-mail and it will be sent to you. A lot of great info in this.

Information on the 6.0L for new owners - Page 110 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 09-29-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 07 6.0L has had the lowest warranty claims of any ford diesel to date (excluding new 6.7 of course)

Watch you EGT's, change your oil every 5000 miles and fuel filters everyone 10,000 miles, only use motorcraft filters

There are plenty of people here that have gone 100-150,000 miles without any issues.

As always, try to buy a low mileage truck that has not been thrashed, you can tell if a truck has been thrashed or not

If your buying from a ford dealer, ask for the Oasis report, which shows all the repair history. If your not buying from a ford dealer, take the vin down to your local ford dealer and be nice to the service manager, tell him you will be bringing it in for service there and is there anyway he can run a quick Oaisis report. If you buy an 07 you may still be able to buy a ford ESP extended warranty, Troy at Ford of Greenfield MA sold me mine over the internet. He will run an Oasis report for you.

what is your budget to spend?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm probably looking at something in the $15k range, I'm not looking for a hot rod or status symbol ,just doing my research in order to purchase the best tool possible to do what I need to do. For me that means as little time lost on breakdowns as possible and as little cost as possible outside of good, regular maintenance and replacing worn or wearing parts. I appreciate the info and advice, keep it coming!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been lurking around probably for the last 4 months or so gathering information to try to make an educated decision regarding which Ford PSD to target as my next vehicle. Unlike yourself, I have been a GM guy mostly. I actually have switched over to a few dodges recently and while we have not had any issues with them their long term reliability and durability are certainly questionable. Growing up with GM products, I am ready to try the other side of the fence. But really, the diesels are what bring me to the Ford PSD. The 7.3 has a very strong reputation. The 6.0l you will find that people either love them or hate them. I think that you need to seek information and make an informed decision based on your findings. Like the previous post mentioned, I am looking for 2007 model based on what I have read since it has the lowest warranty. In your price range it may put you in a little older model or model with less bells and whistles. You did not specify but supercab prices would be in that range. The newer crew cabs are usually above that price range with full 4x4 trim.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

one thing i can say to you guys about the 6.0 - i came from GM as well for a few reasons. The size of the cab is crazy, a solid front axle up front and it seemed every person i knew with a ford could out pull a chevy. Not power wise but trans temp and stock towing ability. I am a firm believer that all makes of american diesel full size trucks are nice but they all have their pros and cons. This is my first ford and my first diesel. I am 30 years old and this is my first non chevy vehicle. My 6.0 when i got it seemed solid, however over the last 3 months i have dropped nearly 4 grand into a new FICM and EGR / Oil Cooler. But i will not get rid of this 6.0 for anything. Understand anytime you buy a used truck you are going to have to deal with the last guys problems, also understand these 6.0's are either rock solid or they need love. Mine needed love which i gave it and now with 95k on the clock she runs like a top. You can get a lot of good info from the ORG and you will find your answers 99% of the time here.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have to second that response. One of the main reasons for my searching for an F2/350 crew cab is because I need the added seating space. The others just don't really compare. I think that no matter what vehicle you have if you tow with it your going to have to spend money to keep her going. The bullet proof diesel and powerstrokehelp have shown that these 6.0's can work if properly addressed. It sucks that it comes at such a steep price ($4k) and if you need the head studs and gaskets done its a true knuckle buster or another $2k. I figure that when you decide on the vehicle you want these items need to be considered and factored into your buying decisions as a worst case. I hope to pull the trigger by the end of year and look forward to reading and hearing more newb owners sharing information about their buying experience.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
GREAT feedback, Jayson and Al Bundy and I agree 100% You couldn't have said it any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.