Switching oil from Dino to Syn - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Switching oil from Dino to Syn

So I've owned two cars (gassers) that had 100K+ miles and after buying them I switched to synthetic oil. After a few months of running the new oil they leaked oil in a few different spots. My brother did the same thing with his 1500 Chevy pickup. His leaks pretty bad now. I've read since on the Internet this is common issue after running dino oil for a long time in an engine and switching.

So my question is does a diesel motor have the same problem? Does anyone have any idea how long or how many miles is too late to switch before you have problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Switch all you want between the two. Gasser or diesel.

Havent had the switching issues for 15 years or so
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Havent had the switching issues for 15 years or so
Really?!?! My brother did this in his truck like last year. His Chevy is early 90s. Are you saying that the gaskets are better than they were and no longer an issue?

Both of my cars were also pretty old when this was done.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
Really?!?! My brother did this in his truck like last year. His Chevy is early 90s. Are you saying that the gaskets are better than they were and no longer an issue?

Both of my cars were also pretty old when this was done.
Gaskets are way better for one.

For two being an early 90's chevy he probably had the leaks already you just couldnt tell because the leaks were clogged with sludge.

If you have an existing leak with a synthetic you will know it.

Synthetics clean every last bit of sludge out of your engine
Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Don't you worry about it

Ive always heard if you switch to synthetic with a lot of miles on the vehicle it will find a way out but i switched over in my 2002 exploder with 70,000 miles and it never leaked....
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Gaskets are way better for one.

For two being an early 90's chevy he probably had the leaks already you just couldnt tell because the leaks were clogged with sludge.

If you have an existing leak with a synthetic you will know it.

Synthetics clean every last bit of sludge out of your engine
Yea ok so an existing leak that doesn't leak isn't a leak until you switch to synthetic oil. Say that 5 times fast!

So the chances still exist that you might not be leaking today but you will after switching the type of oil?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to BigOlDog
Quote:
Yea ok so an existing leak that doesn't leak isn't a leak until you switch to synthetic oil. Say that 5 times fast!

So the chances still exist that you might not be leaking today but you will after switching the type of oil?
Sometimes you can go from one having a leak and not with the other. Its hard to say really. I have heard people going to synthetic then getting a little leak but after a few days it was gone. NORMALLY if you don't have a leak you wont get a leak.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM

So last night I laid up under the truck for the first time and I noticed some not a ton but some oil around the seal of the oil pan. As far as I know it has never dripped except the a few years ago under warranty the dealer replaced some seal because it was bad. I can get the exact name tonight. Could this be oil from then or from maybe oil changes or am I looking at a possible leak?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
So last night I laid up under the truck for the first time and I noticed some not a ton but some oil around the seal of the oil pan. As far as I know it has never dripped except the a few years ago under warranty the dealer replaced some seal because it was bad. I can get the exact name tonight. Could this be oil from then or from maybe oil changes or am I looking at a possible leak?
I would suggest cleaning it up real well and then monitoring it. On my truck, which had a leak for years and countless trips to the dealership for repair, cleaning it up one day and I'd have a noticeable drip the next. This coupled with the dye allowed the dealership to FINALLY pinpoint the source of the leak and today it's clean as a whistle!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I would suggest cleaning it up real well and then monitoring it. On my truck, which had a leak for years and countless trips to the dealership for repair, cleaning it up one day and I'd have a noticeable drip the next. This coupled with the dye allowed the dealership to FINALLY pinpoint the source of the leak and today it's clean as a whistle!
That is kinda what I was thinking. So now the next question. I have enough AMSOIL oil to do 2 oil changes my plan, before this new development, was to do the first change today and tomorrow we are leaving on a 3200 mile round trip to FL and back towing a ~5K trailer. The truck is at 30K so I am about due for the next oil change (it has Ford MC oil in it right now).

If I leave it as is I will be a little bit over the recommended "Every 7,500 miles" for normal conditions from Ford.

I started thinking change the oil filter now clean the bottom of the engine really good and go on the trip. When I get back take a look and go from there.

I was hoping to start using the Amsoil oil on this trip but my fear is I have a small leak that becomes a bigger leak while I am a long ways from home. Thoughts...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.