New 6.0 Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs down New 6.0 Owner

Just bought me a 2005 6.0 Yellow f-250 crew cab. trying to load pics as we speak. It has a mbrp 5" exhaust, airaid stage 2 cold air intake. 4" rancho lift w/ 37 m16 tires. Ranch hand bumpers front and rear. i need advice on what to do with my truck to make it perform better. dont really understand the egr delete or unplug mod. i dont want a ton of power, but would like a little more. Please help me with some ideas and sorry if i ask stuipid questions, first time diesel owner, thanks in advance.
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Justin there are many links on here to read about everything you commeted about. Read through them and they will help you understand. The EGR delete is cool if you can get away with it in your state. If not look at Bullet Proof Diesel for their answer, also first things you are going to want to do are fluids and filters. Change them your 6.0 will thank you, also gauges keep an eye on those EOT and ECT's Good luck with your 6.0 and welcome to the ORG
Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Congrats on da new truck! Lots of reading on here about the EGR delete. It is on my list of things to do, along with the coolant filter/flush, etc. Get some gauges, they will help understand what the eng is doing and might prevent some damage due to the EGR.

I'm new myself, got mine bout 2 months back. I'm reading all the old posts, there is one heck of a lot of info to be had.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Already has exhaust which is great.
If you want just a "little" power then SCTx3 with custom tunes from either Innovative, Gear-head, DPtuners (the list goes on and on. Just google it.) and they will have whatever tunes you want..
As for the EGR delete or unplugging it, you're going to want to delete it..
When your truck runs, some exhaust is re-circulated back into the intake to reduce emissions (EGR=exhaust gas re-circulation)..
Well you can't put super heated air into your intake so it uses an EGR cooler that has coolant running through it. If the cooler were to get a hole in it, then coolant goes straight into the intake. This causes too high of cylinder pressures so it stretches the headbolts and blows out the headgasket..
Blocking the EGR off is a good idea, and cheaper. But it does not re-direct the coolant flow. That's why you get one of the kits offered by Sinister diesel (or google it for other makers)

Whew, fingers a lil tired now
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM

yea i live in texas so i think i can get away with it. how easy is the egr delete?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM

i would also like to do the tailight swap to the newer tailights...ive heard its a pia, then ive heard its just a matter of putting the bulbs in.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebass View Post
Just bought me a 2005 6.0 Yellow f-250 crew cab. trying to load pics as we speak. It has a mbrp 5" exhaust, airaid stage 2 cold air intake. 4" rancho lift w/ 37 m16 tires. Ranch hand bumpers front and rear. i need advice on what to do with my truck to make it perform better. dont really understand the egr delete or unplug mod. i dont want a ton of power, but would like a little more. Please help me with some ideas and sorry if i ask stuipid questions, first time diesel owner, thanks in advance.
Justin
Well welcome to the world of the 6.0 Everyone wants more power but you need to start with a good set of gauges, i like the Edge Insight because you need to know the difference in EOT-ECT this is a must on a 6.0 max 15 degs difference at highway speed MT, if more than that your coolers are getting plugged, a coolent filter to remove the casting sand and a fuel pressure gauge anything under 45 lbs kills injectors. If you are going to do an EGR delete go with one of the best look here BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 then if you are going to do a programmer most go with the SCT.
2 stroker
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebass View Post
i would also like to do the tailight swap to the newer tailights...ive heard its a pia, then ive heard its just a matter of putting the bulbs in.
where in tx?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 PM

live over in marshall. east texas area
Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 PM

I live in Borger tx which is north of amarillo but I go to school at A&M.
What's your budget most importantly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.