Please help me understand - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help me understand

I just bought a 2005 F-250 with the 6.0 turbo diesel. With all the problems with this motor that I found after I bought the truck, have there been any recalls on the entire motor? Class action law suits against Ford for this? I spent $25,000 for this truck and it was well maintained but that does not reduce my fears. It came with the Banks monster exhaust, Banks High Ram Intake, Banks Techni-cooler and Edge Performance chip. Will these upgrades help with some of the EGR issues on this motor or should I still be worried. If it matters, I will not be hauling anything over 8,000 pounds, three to four times a year. I did purchase a 3 year extended warrant just as a precaution. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Slacker



 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 17,007
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome to the ORG, Kirk. Recalls are usually only due to life safety issues, so there haven't been any recalls or class action lawsuits on the entire engine. Your fears are well-founded, but there are a number of different ways of ensuring longevity out of your new purchase. I personally went with the Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler and oil cooler and after going through 4 EGR coolers in the first roughly 100k miles, I'm no longer worried about those failures.

PS. Did you happen to get an OASIS report when you bought the truck? It is a report that details what work has been performed under warranty. If not, get one from your local dealer and post it up. It will tell us whether you have reason to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,971
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With the options that you mentioned have you looked to see if you have an egr delete or head studs already installed? If the egr cooler is still there it still might be blocked off. Unfortunately there is no way to tell without disassembly. If you live in a smog state where you can't delete it plan on replacing it with the Bulletproof cooler Shawn mentioned.

There are solutions to pretty much all of the 6.0's problems. Once those are taken care of you will have a fine dependable truck.

My first suggestion for you is get rid of the Edge programming and go with an SCT device and custom tunes. That is really the only way to go with the 6.0. Especially if you are concerned about reliability. If Your Edge has monitoring functions keep it for the display. If not sell it and put the money toward your SCT.

You need to monitor your Engine Coolant Temps (ECT) and your Engine Oil Temps (EOT). If these differ by more than 15* it means your oil cooler is clogging up and you need to have it rebuilt. Most of the problems with blown EGR coolers and head gaskets are directly related to the oil cooler clogging and the continued use of the truck in that state. The only way to know you have a problem developing is by monitoring those temps. If you truck has the latest Ford Flash updates one of the things they added is that it will now throw a Check Engine light if those temp deltas exceed 15*.

I also recommend that you flush your cooling system out real well and change to an ELC coolant from Rotella, Cat, or Fleetrite. The silicates in the Ford Gold coolant and the heat generated in the EGR cooler causes the silicates to gell and that is largely what clogs up the oil cooler.

That should get you started. There is just a ton of information here about making your truck reliable and a strong performer. Spend your spare time reading on this forum and educating yourself about the 6.0 and you will save yourself tons of grief and $$. And don't be afraid to ask questions. There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

Enjoy your truck and don't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I obtain an Oasis report for free from my local dealer (even if I have never purchased anything form them before)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cranford
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
With the options that you mentioned have you looked to see if you have an egr delete or head studs already installed? If the egr cooler is still there it still might be blocked off. Unfortunately there is no way to tell without disassembly. If you live in a smog state where you can't delete it plan on replacing it with the Bulletproof cooler Shawn mentioned.

There are solutions to pretty much all of the 6.0's problems. Once those are taken care of you will have a fine dependable truck.

My first suggestion for you is get rid of the Edge programming and go with an SCT device and custom tunes. That is really the only way to go with the 6.0. Especially if you are concerned about reliability. If Your Edge has monitoring functions keep it for the display. If not sell it and put the money toward your SCT.

You need to monitor your Engine Coolant Temps (ECT) and your Engine Oil Temps (EOT). If these differ by more than 15* it means your oil cooler is clogging up and you need to have it rebuilt. Most of the problems with blown EGR coolers and head gaskets are directly related to the oil cooler clogging and the continued use of the truck in that state. The only way to know you have a problem developing is by monitoring those temps. If you truck has the latest Ford Flash updates one of the things they added is that it will now throw a Check Engine light if those temp deltas exceed 15*.

I also recommend that you flush your cooling system out real well and change to an ELC coolant from Rotella, Cat, or Fleetrite. The silicates in the Ford Gold coolant and the heat generated in the EGR cooler causes the silicates to gell and that is largely what clogs up the oil cooler.

That should get you started. There is just a ton of information here about making your truck reliable and a strong performer. Spend your spare time reading on this forum and educating yourself about the 6.0 and you will save yourself tons of grief and $$. And don't be afraid to ask questions. There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

Enjoy your truck and don't worry.
Nice Post

My truck is not studded and still has the egr, I tow everyday and even drag the truck. These engines do have their problems but so dont. Keep up the maintenance on it, dont be easy on her, the 6.0s dont like that. I agree with what greensvt said, heat is what kills this motor get a good set of gauges, coolant filter and you should be in the clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Slacker



 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 17,007
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane3507 View Post
Can I obtain an Oasis report for free from my local dealer (even if I have never purchased anything form them before)?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I will get a copy of the report and post it for the site to see. Is this anything like a carfax or is it dealer based tracking of their makes of vehicles serviced? I did get a copy of a report that showed some general maintance of the truck (oil changes, etc..) but nothing like engine flushes, transmission filter changes etc... I will post it as soon as I get a copy. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Unapologetically American


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 19,768
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1969 View Post
I will get a copy of the report and post it for the site to see. Is this anything like a carfax or is it dealer based tracking of their makes of vehicles serviced? I did get a copy of a report that showed some general maintance of the truck (oil changes, etc..) but nothing like engine flushes, transmission filter changes etc... I will post it as soon as I get a copy. Thanks for the input.
The Oasis only shows the warranty work done to a vehicle. You may be able to ge the maintenence records from the dealer, only if they did the work though. The 6.0 is a great engine, has some issues, but they all do. We have a member here, that owned an 05 with over 230k on the odo, and I don't believe he ever had an issue, don't quote me though. He did say that he loved his truck FWIW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors