Coolant Filter: Necessary if you replace Gold with ELC? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filter: Necessary if you replace Gold with ELC?

First off, I love this site and the helpful people on here!! I've been ready thread after thread regarding coolant.

Now, I bought my truck with 55k on it and believe the orginal coolant is still in there. My question is if I flush and replace with ELC, do I need to get the coolant filter system then? Where is the sand and trash coming from once you get rid of that crappy Ford coolant?

I ordered an Edge Insight today to help monitor EOT and ECT. How important is it to get the coolant filter with 55k already gone by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I can't offer any advice unfortunately, but am in the read good responses. Bump.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I've learned/read, the "crap" is inside the block and such, so no matter what fluid you use, the crap is still in there. I've come to the conclusion that a coolant filter system is something to have no matter what, which is why I just bought and installed one over the weekend. Now as for the gold coolant.......I would also like to know more about it being "crappy coolant", I've been using it since day 1....I'm sure more useful knowledge will be here soon!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM

No matter what coolant you put in there you should add a filter. I just ordered one of these from FCDP and did the install. Easy breezy!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
No matter what coolant you put in there you should add a filter. I just ordered one of these from FCDP and did the install. Easy breezy!

Yeah, thats much like the one I got from DieselSite, and I agree...it was "very easy breezy". I should have done it long time ago.....
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes a coolant filter is a good idea when you consider that this coolant is good for 300k+ miles. Over time scale and and whatnot develop inside the coolant passages so it is good to have the filter.

Now as to the crappy Gold stuff, the problem is that it contains silicates. It is theorized that the heat developed in the egr cooler causes the silicates to fall out of suspension and congeal into the glop that clogs up our oil coolers. The ELC coolant is silicate free so it doesn't do that and eliminates the problem at it's source. International uses ELC coolant in its version of the engine and they built it, therefore I am confident that it is an acceptable alternative to the Ford Gold.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post

Alright, that is what I'm gonna do next. I know you haven't installed yours yet, but I wonder just how much coolant you loose each time you have to change the filter?

Also is it better to flush the old stuff before adding the filter system or does it not really matter?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

neither the filter nor the ELC is required...

...that being said, i would put the filter on IMMEDIATELY and swap to an ELC if its something you decide to do.

as for me, i went Caterpiller ELC and threw together my own kit using Cat coolant filters...

Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Yes a coolant filter is a good idea when you consider that this coolant is good for 300k+ miles. Over time scale and and whatnot develop inside the coolant passages so it is good to have the filter.

Now as to the crappy Gold stuff, the problem is that it contains silicates. It is theorized that the heat developed in the egr cooler causes the silicates to fall out of suspension and congeal into the glop that clogs up our oil coolers. The ELC coolant is silicate free so it doesn't do that and eliminates the problem at it's source. International uses ELC coolant in its version of the engine and they built it, therefore I am confident that it is an acceptable alternative to the Ford Gold.
Thanks alot for clearing up my confusion. I plan to go ahead and get the bypass system.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane3507 View Post
Alright, that is what I'm gonna do next. I know you haven't installed yours yet, but I wonder just how much coolant you loose each time you have to change the filter?

Also is it better to flush the old stuff before adding the filter system or does it not really matter?
Mine is installed but I just did the install on Sunday. I decided to flush the coolant before installing the filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.