another oil question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another oil question?

dont want to start no dilma on talking oil, but want to know...i have put the same oil in my ride for several years. (not saying what brand) i have only had two problems out of my truck since i bought it new in 2005, it had 14 miles new and now i am at 111,000..QUESTION is...engine noise seems to have gotten louder over time and really didnt notice much, what would be a good oil to use for engine noise,high milage,and occasional towing...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

I would stick with the oil you've been running if its been good for you. Some guys have switched to rotella 10w30 from 15w40. Now that your engine is broke in, its gonna sound a little different than new. I would make sure to use fuel additive like diesel kleen or something like that to prolong injector life. I just use rotella 15w40 and I change it anywhere between 3k and 5k. Fuel filters every 3rd oil change.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
111k is way far from high mileage. I prefer a premium quality synthetic oil like Amsoil or Schaeffer. If what you are doing is working for you keep on with it.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM

so, if what i have been using is working good for me, what could i do for the engine noise, when i got the truck i could carry a conversation at the hood with the engine on, now i have to talk at the tailgate where i can hear, OR should i just get used to it and live with it... i just thought my truck may have reached a point where it need upgraded products to help it as it got older.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Mines pretty loud. But its not stock. Have to shut it down when I go thru mcdonald drive thru. As the saying goes "If its too loud, your too old" But seriously, try some fuel additive if you already dont'.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ramsdell_
All the oils already mentioned are good choices. A good synthetic oil should definitely quiet down the engine noise and possibly even give you better fuel milage. Also a fuel additive might help quiet down the diesel noise and help clean and lubricate the fuel system and provide quicker starts and better milage as well. If you would like a quote on AMSOIL products let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.