AmsOIL 15-40 diesel motor oil,consensus? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AmsOIL 15-40 diesel motor oil,consensus?

Hi Folks:

How about some opinions on this oil for the 6.0
I put about 10,000 miles per year on my 2005, about 1000 0f which is pulling my 6000 lb. camper.I was thinking that I would change the AmsOil once a year with a filter change @ 6 months.

Other than the obvious benefits of synthetic during extreme winter cold and high summer heat, I am thinking that the synthetic might help to keep the "oil fired" injectors from having oil related problems.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who use or have used the AmsOIL, as to their opinion. Why they like it, or why they don't.

Thanks.......Hood Latch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 914
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been considering a very similar strategy. I just ordered up a couple cases of this stuff Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil

My plan is to change it now. Change it again at 4K-5K range and then I make a decision dump again one more time at 5K or go to a 10K rotation with a filter swap in the middle and an occasional UOA. Not sure which way I will go yet.

The reason I change it again at 3-4k is because there is going to be a good amount of used dino oil left in the motor when I do the initial swap. I like to get that out of there before pushing the miles up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,983
Thanks: 4
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hood latch View Post
Hi Folks:

How about some opinions on this oil for the 6.0
I put about 10,000 miles per year on my 2005, about 1000 0f which is pulling my 6000 lb. camper.I was thinking that I would change the AmsOil once a year with a filter change @ 6 months.

Other than the obvious benefits of synthetic during extreme winter cold and high summer heat, I am thinking that the synthetic might help to keep the "oil fired" injectors from having oil related problems.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who use or have used the AmsOIL, as to their opinion. Why they like it, or why they don't.

Thanks.......Hood Latch
Amsoil is a great synthetic oil. You can't go wrong with it. If you want to stick with a 40 weight go with the 5w40 instead of the 15w40. It will help with your cold starts. The HEUI injection system shears oil badly but UOA suggests it stops shearing when it gets to be a 30 weight. Currently a number of folks are trying the 30 weight strategy like bfrank below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
I've been considering a very similar strategy. I just ordered up a couple cases of this stuff Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil

My plan is to change it now. Change it again at 4K-5K range and then I make a decision dump again one more time at 5K or go to a 10K rotation with a filter swap in the middle and an occasional UOA. Not sure which way I will go yet.

The reason I change it again at 3-4k is because there is going to be a good amount of used dino oil left in the motor when I do the initial swap. I like to get that out of there before pushing the miles up.
That's the good stuff. Good choice and a reasonable strategy. For sure get a UOA before trying to push it out to 10k. I'll be doing the same thing when I change out my current load.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oily analysis is the best way to find out what oil is for you and your truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Warren, Oregon
Posts: 1,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hood latch View Post
Hi Folks:

How about some opinions on this oil for the 6.0
I put about 10,000 miles per year on my 2005, about 1000 0f which is pulling my 6000 lb. camper.I was thinking that I would change the AmsOil once a year with a filter change @ 6 months.

Other than the obvious benefits of synthetic during extreme winter cold and high summer heat, I am thinking that the synthetic might help to keep the "oil fired" injectors from having oil related problems.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who use or have used the AmsOIL, as to their opinion. Why they like it, or why they don't.

Thanks.......Hood Latch
I am running the Amsoil by-pass and 15w40 here in Oregon we don't have the cold weather and have about 4000 on the oil now, i had a small leak and it has stopped leaking by switching over to Amsoil from MotorCraft 15w40 i like the oil + i send a sample into Halton
2 stroker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to BigOlDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by hood latch View Post
Hi Folks:

How about some opinions on this oil for the 6.0
I put about 10,000 miles per year on my 2005, about 1000 0f which is pulling my 6000 lb. camper.I was thinking that I would change the AmsOil once a year with a filter change @ 6 months.

Other than the obvious benefits of synthetic during extreme winter cold and high summer heat, I am thinking that the synthetic might help to keep the "oil fired" injectors from having oil related problems.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who use or have used the AmsOIL, as to their opinion. Why they like it, or why they don't.

Thanks.......Hood Latch
I think your idea is on the money. If all you do is about 10K a year then a AMSOIL and a filter change midway threw is great. The SDF88 is good for about 7500mi but nothing wrong with playing it safe and changing mid way. You could do Oil Analysis and possibly even run it longer to save yourself even more money.

With AMSOIL 5 and 15w-40 you are getting some of the best protection for your motor. Both oils stayed in the within the SAE rating in a shear stability test where the others fell below that rating. Granted this was based on fuel dilution but that is one of the worst things that can happen to your oil. AMSOIL also addressed the HEUI systems and the known problems of shearing oil and both 5 and 15w-40 oil can with stand the shearing effects of this system. If I may get you information about either of these please just let me know.

I use Diesel Concentrate and Cetane Boost every tank. These were the first two products of AMSOIL I started using. Both products did what they said and so I took a chance and started using motor oil. Because of the gains I saw and the product doing what they said it would I became a dealer. The 5w-40 is what I run because I drive my truck daily and was looking to get the best fuel milage I could. I have put 10k on the oil before my first oil analysis when the report came back all was well and I pressed on.

If I can answer more questions for you or get you information about buying AMSOIL products at wholesale please feel free to PM, Email or give me a Call.

Thanks

Last edited by BigOlDog; 09-26-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: had to fix a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 914
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlDog View Post
The 5w-40 is what I run because I drive my truck daily and was looking to get the best fuel milage I could. I have put 10k on the oil before my first oil analysis when the report came back all was well and I pressed on.
What year is your truck? With mine being an '05 I ordered the Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) because that is what it seemed would be the correct product for my engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlDog View Post
I think your idea is on the money. If all you do is about 10K a year then a AMSOIL and a filter change midway threw is great. The SDF88 is good for about 7500mi but nothing wrong with playing it safe and changing mid way. You could do Oil Analysis and possibly even run it longer to save yourself even more money.

With AMSOIL 5 and 15w-40 you are getting some of the best protection for your motor. Both oils stayed in the within the SAE rating in a shear stability test where the others fell below that rating. Granted this was based on fuel dilution but that is one of the worst things that can happen to your oil. AMSOIL also addressed the HEUI systems and the known problems of shearing oil and both 5 and 15w-40 oil can with stand the shearing effects of this system. If I may get you information about either of these please just let me know.

I use Diesel Concentrate and Cetane Boost every tank. These were the first two products of AMSOIL I started using. Both products did what they said and so I took a chance and started using motor oil. Because of the gains I saw and the product doing what they said it would I became a dealer. The 5w-40 is what I run because I drive my truck daily and was looking to get the best fuel milage I could. I have put 10k on the oil before my first oil analysis when the report came back all was well and I pressed on.

If I can answer more questions for you or get you information about buying AMSOIL products at wholesale please feel free to PM, Email or give me a Call.

Thanks
Big Ol Dog,

Thank you for the feedback. I did order the AmsOil 5-40W. I have on hand, two FoMoCo filters (showing my age there, huh) when they are used up, I will try the AmsOil filters. Thanks again.......Hood Latch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to BigOlDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
What year is your truck? With mine being an '05 I ordered the Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) because that is what it seemed would be the correct product for my engine.
I have an 08 don't cuss me Chevy. There is nothing wrong with you choosing 5w-30. What climate do you live in? Did you chose the 30 weight because of the shearing with the 40 weights in the HEUI systems? If you go to the AMSOIL site and do the product look up for your truck the first suggested oil is 15w-40 AME.

If you have anymore questions that I can answer please feel free to ask.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
What year is your truck? With mine being an '05 I ordered the Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) because that is what it seemed would be the correct product for my engine.
bfrank81,

Thanks for the feedback. My truck is a 2005. ....Hood Latch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors