Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Allowing my 6.0 to warm up in the morning and remote start devices

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  thmper321 
#1 ·
I just Recently purchased my first diesel truck, an 06 F350, and I have been reading several forums since before the purchase. As I understand it, a diesel engine should be allowed to warm up before being driven. Does this apply to only cold weather situations or all climates? I am considering the purchase of a remote start to facilitate pre warming of the engine ( particularly in the morning while I have that first cup of coffee). Any suggestion as to brand and model?

#2 ·
Depends. When its 90 out, I start it, get my newspaper and then get in and drive easy. When its really cold, I let her run for 10 minutes or so. With all that oil, it doenst get too warm just sitting there. Now I NEVER get in and get on the go juice when she isnt up to normal temp. Always easy on it until it is warmed up. Even if it is 100 degrees out.
Plug her in when its cold and give it a bit to warm up. Im sure other people will chime in with their thoughts on this.

P.S. Unless its my lawnmower I always let the thing warm up before driving. :thumb:

#3 ·
I let mine get to 100 degrees on the Coolant before I start down the road. Easy on it until at least the 160 range, then who gives a rip at 190.

Cool mornings, the computer will idle up automatically. Real cold, it's plugged in and I flip the switch and get her up to 1200 rpm until she's over 100. I'm a big user of the block heater. Diesels love the warmth.

I don't use an auto start system. So my question for those that have an auto start system, can they be programmed to start the glow plugs for 2 minutes during those colder mornings? Prior to starting.

#5 ·
I don't use an auto start system. So my question for those that have an auto start system, can they be programmed to start the glow plugs for 2 minutes during those colder mornings? Prior to starting.
i Have A Viper 5902, And VIPER Does Have A Diesel Remote Start Wire On The Harness When I Remote Start My Truck, It Never Starts Untill The Light Goes Out. You Can Either Have It On A Timer Relay(Which Is Made For Diesels) What I Did Was Splice A Wire Into The WTS Light So When That Light Go's Out It Starts.

#4 ·
they need to warm up before you romp on them.... i spent many year in alaska and have a remote start on my truck, i would let it run for 20 min before i drove it when it was sub zero, though you could not even get the gauge to climb off the full cold stop for a 20 min of driving...... i used to cardboard off the radiator also.... where are you at?? for normal temp ranges letting it idle for 10 min before you drive is fine, then drive it easy for first 10 min

#7 ·
The best route is to get the DEI (makes Viper) adjustable timer and use it as a wait to start timer. With my 5902 it's set to delay engine cranking until 20 seconds after the ignition is activated.

#10 ·
On my truck i also have a DEI alarm with a diesel remote start. My truck has a 15 second delay start. So usually in the mornings i hit the start button, let the glow plugs warm up for about 12 seconds, then i hit the start button again to turn it off. Then i do that one more time, maybe even up to 3 times jus to make sure the glow plugs warm up good. After that my baby starts right up. If its warm outside it will start with just one cycle. When its cold is when i requires a couple of cycles.

#11 ·
You Dont Have to do that tho.. if u have a viper RS then after 5 seconds of cranking (i think) it restarts the process. remote start, delay 15 seconds, if it doesnt start within 5 seconds it turns RS off and turns it back on, then it waits 15 more seconds.. i install Viper Alarms At My Job :)

#13 ·
Well the wire that i spliced into the rpm gauge got clipped by the clutch pedal so there was no rpm input for the romote start, so when i tryed too it started my truck but it turned the RS off and tryed to RS again on its own cause it thought it didnt start (since there was no RPM input) and kept trying to start it untill 3 trys and stopped

#15 ·
I used to work for Autopage so I have their remote start installed in my truck. I set it on voltage sense so no tach wire is needed and also set it up on the delayed start to give the glow plugs a better chance to warm up. Never had a problem with the truck not starting. I use it every morning. Stick with a name brand if you are going to have a remote start installed. The area you live in most times will dictate what alarm you will be offered. DEI and Autopage are most widely used but up North you might find Autostart or Compustar more frequently. All mentioned above are good. Compustars are a nightmare to install unless you are used to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.