still unanswered egr question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
still unanswered egr question

Ok so basically like alot of other people out there im running a p0401 code for the egr valve, no i know there are the delete kits out there ( sinister diesel etc) but now there are egr eliminators (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices).

Now my question is, do the eliminators work? Does just disconnecting the egr valve through a code or have any ill effects on the truck at all, seems like there are alot of egr threads started but none have an ending. I would rather spend 80 bucks or so to do the elminator but do i still have to block off the cooler hose? I wouldlove to do the sinister diesel kit but 300 for parts and 500 for labor is a bit out of my range right now. So do these elminators work, and if so what type of work is involved other than just pulling the egr out and putting the eliminator in? I have an 03 6.0L with 62k on it with aem brute force intake and 4 inch catback with cat delete. thanks alot guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb01453 View Post
Ok so basically like alot of other people out there im running a p0401 code for the egr valve, no i know there are the delete kits out there ( sinister diesel etc) but now there are egr eliminators (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices).

Now my question is, do the eliminators work? Does just disconnecting the egr valve through a code or have any ill effects on the truck at all, seems like there are alot of egr threads started but none have an ending. I would rather spend 80 bucks or so to do the elminator but do i still have to block off the cooler hose? I wouldlove to do the sinister diesel kit but 300 for parts and 500 for labor is a bit out of my range right now. So do these elminators work, and if so what type of work is involved other than just pulling the egr out and putting the eliminator in? I have an 03 6.0L with 62k on it with aem brute force intake and 4 inch catback with cat delete. thanks alot guys
It's not the EGR valve that causes the actual problem which is what the eliminator replaces. Only way to do it and do it right is to delete the EGR cooler and remove the valve.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
You need to either eliminate or upgrade the cooler.

Deleting the valve alone does nothing to solve the problem
Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

so this would cause an insufficient flow code. And just so im clear, if i upgrade the cooler and do the eliminator, this will fix my issue or is buying the egr delete kit the only real way to fix this issue?
Or will upgrading the cooler fix the issue all together?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Either way will fix the issue. Upgraded cooler and valve or delete.

Does your state test emmissions
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
so this would cause an insufficient flow code. And just so im clear, if i upgrade the cooler and do the eliminator, this will fix my issue or is buying the egr delete kit the only real way to fix this issue?
Or will upgrading the cooler fix the issue all together?
I wasn't paying attention to your post. A P0401 code can be fixed with just replacing the valve if the valve is sticking. If you unplug it, you may be able to get the check engine light off but will never erase the code since it will see the valve is unplugged.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

No mass does not do emissions on diesels under 10000 gvw. I have already done an egr cleaning about 3000 miles ago, the light stayed off for about 2500 miles or so then came back on. Now my question is, is the p0401 code related to the cooling aspect of the egr valve, i know i need a coolant flush but like i said, would this cause the insufficient flow code? I was thinking about doing a coolant system flush then maybe cleanign the valve again or replacing it because its only 100 bucks, Like i said i would love to do the delete but it would be about a grand with labor and parts and i just dont have the cash layin around
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm a machinist by trade and made my own egr valve spool plug. The plug does the same thing as unplugging the egr valve. But what I notice is on the egr valve, the bottom valve doesn't seat all the way into the seat and you can see an air gap. Will this small air gap cause issues, IDK. Even with the plug in and the egr valve plugged in and tied to the side, you may still get an CEL for p0401- insufficiant exhaust flow. You can get an SCT with an custom tune to turn off the CEL for the EGR valve not seeing enough flow. If you go with the plug, it would also be a good idea to put in or make a blocker plate where the cooler mates up to the exhaust or get an egr delete up pipe. This will prevent hot exhaust gases from hitting the egr cooler to help reduce coolant temps.

Most people go with the full delete because it eliminates the egr cooler from failing. You can also put on an coolant filter to help eliminate the chance of blocking up the oil cooler, but it is also important to monitor ECT and EOT to make sure that the oil cooler isn't getting blocked up. Those who just delete the egr cooler need to still be aware that without monitoring the ECT and EOT, still take a chance of a blocked up oil cooler.

As far as I'll effect on unplugging the egr valve, I have noticed when my egr valve was unplugged the VGT would not cycle and Nylyon had posted up a link from ford truck enthusiast that a ford diesel tech noticed the clutch fan didn't work properly with some ECM strategies. Here is a link to my VGT experience.
Also click onto the link that Nylyon posted up.
Egr valve and VGT cycling experience? - TheDieselGarage.com
Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
No mass does not do emissions on diesels under 10000 gvw. I have already done an egr cleaning about 3000 miles ago, the light stayed off for about 2500 miles or so then came back on. Now my question is, is the p0401 code related to the cooling aspect of the egr valve, i know i need a coolant flush but like i said, would this cause the insufficient flow code? I was thinking about doing a coolant system flush then maybe cleanign the valve again or replacing it because its only 100 bucks, Like i said i would love to do the delete but it would be about a grand with labor and parts and i just dont have the cash layin around
Insufficient flow has nothing to do with the cooler/coolant side of the EGR. It is directly related to the valve itself. A lot of times cleaning doesn't fix the issue. Install a new valve and it will take care of it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

one more question, i have an aem brute force intake and an mbrp 4" catback with cat delete, could this have anything to do with my code? I will most likely purchase a new valve to resolve the immediate issue, but a delete kit should follow somewheres down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.