Which Tuner SCT X3 or SCT SF3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Tuner SCT X3 or SCT SF3?

Im trying to decide between these 2 tuners. Looking for some input/feedback. Which do you recommend, and what kind of real world results have you seen? (ie HP, TQ, MPG)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM

The SF3 comes with standard tunes. The X3 will need custom tunes.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM

I also thought the X3 had the basic tunes as well. The X3 could be uploaded with custom tunes to choose from when installing into the truck.
From personal experience, don't mess with the 'options' during the install. I limited my speed to 75mph and couldn't pass anyone....
Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Riley126
what is the difference between custom and basic tunes? and where/how can you get custom tunes?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley126 View Post
what is the difference between custom and basic tunes? and where/how can you get custom tunes?
The "canned" or basic tunes are what come pre loaded on the tuner from the factory. They are pretty much junk IMO and I would never use them on my truck...

Custom tunes are custom written by a tuner specifically for our trucks. With a SCT it reprograms the ECU as well as the tranny.

There are a few good tune writer's on this forum. Gearhead tunes or Eric's tunes are pretty well known and liked on here.

Mah, I am in Manteca so not too far from you. If you are ever down this way let me know and I will let ya test drive my truck with custom tunes on it....it made a night and day difference.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Riley126
do they simply download to my computer? prices?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You can buy the tuner with 3 custom tunes from matt at gearhead(sponsor on here) for around 500 bucks...

And yes..it just plugs into your OBD2 ports and deletes your stock programming and puts the new custom tune on. Very easy and only takes a few minutes. It saves your stock tune automatically in case you want to change back at any time.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 AM

To the OP: the only real difference between the two is that with the SF3, it comes with 3 "canned" tunes, with the ability to add 3 "custom" tunes as well. The X3 comes blank and you will have to buy "custom" tunes for it. Other than that they are the same. You'll hook up the tuner to your truck, get the strategy number then email that to the tuner of your choice.

Also, as Armyguy stated, some good tuners to check into would be Eric @ Innovative, Matt @ Gearhead, Vivian (dont remember, but she might be independent now, do a search on vivian) or Cale all do good tunes.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
To the OP: the only real difference between the two is that with the SF3, it comes with 3 "canned" tunes, with the ability to add 3 "custom" tunes as well. The X3 comes blank and you will have to buy "custom" tunes for it. Other than that they are the same. You'll hook up the tuner to your truck, get the strategy number then email that to the tuner of your choice..
But if you choose to buy a used X-3, the original X-3's do the same as the SF3. you can have 3 canned tunes and 3 custom tunes on the device.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
But if you choose to buy a used X-3, the original X-3's do the same as the SF3. you can have 3 canned tunes and 3 custom tunes on the device.
Ding ding ding... we have a winner. The original X3 had 3 canned tunes. They really aren't worth paying for so SCT renamed the original X3 the SF3 and deleted the canned tunes and called that box the X3. My X3 has the 3 canned tunes on it. I loaded the top 2 and ran them when I first got it to see what they were like. You definitely want custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.