Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Early Stages of EGR problem?

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Newman 
#1 ·
Heres the whole story... Its a 2004 F-250 6.0, I bought the truck in January at 98k miles and the day after I bought it the EGR cooler AND the turbo went out on it. The Ford dealership replaced both free of charge.

The truck now has 105k miles on it. This morning I went to work the truck was fine, absolutely no problems. I leave work (truck still fine) and get a half mile up the road and stop at a stop sign, go to take off and the truck is VERY WEAK. I go another half mile up the road and stop to check it out, truck seems to idle fine with no smoking, having this similar issue before I rev it up while looking for white smoke out of the exhaust, which like I figured, thats what it done..alot. I limp it back home which is only about 5 miles, still very little power but not very much smoke. I get home and rev it back up looking for the smoke again but it does not smoke. It is real sluggish hesitating until about 2k RPM and seems to clear up.

First thought was EGR cooler is going out again but after doing some reading I am really unsure what's going on with it????

HELP PLEASE...

#6 ·
Yeah, they can be buggers. Twist it back and forth a little, and give it a quick tug. It will pop out of there. You might need a new "O" ring. Check it real close and make sure it's still ok. They can be re-used. Lube the o-ring before installing. Here is a link to cleaning. And clean out the port it came out of real good. Use a vacuum to suck out that intake area as best you can.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...2-6-0l-egr-maintenance-cleaning-write-up.html

#4 ·
it can be difficult but keep working it and it will come out. Clean it , put it back in and leave it unplugged. Flush and clean your coolant system , use Rotella, Cat or Fleetrite ELC, add a coolant filter and re-route the CCV or you will be back on here in short order saying you have blown another EGR cooler. Good luck and there are some really savvy folks on this board who provide a wealth of assistance!

#7 ·
from what i understand usually when an egr cooler goes its because the oil cooler is bad all because of a certain chemical in gold coolant that atromizes into gel/gunk which clogs em both.

#9 ·
Took the valve out and cleaned everything. Kept the valve unplugged and took a trip up the street, Truck was back to normal. Turned around and plugged the valve back up before bringing it back home, revved it up a time or two and it was fine, went to take off and wouldnt you know it the sluggish hesitation came back. Guess the EGR Valve needs to be replaced??

Will it hurt anything to drive the truck around a few days with the valve unplugged? Im going to have to take the valve out and close it again, It was slightly open when I took it out the first time!!

#11 ·
I ran my 2005 6.0 Excursion 70k miles or so with the EGR valve unplugged from day one. Ran great , zero problems. My 2005 F250 has been unplugged since I have owned it. No codes , no issues, runs fantastic.

#12 · (Edited)
*UPDATE*

A few days after the initial problem I started the truck up and it started billowing white smoke, Figured it was the EGR cooler. Went ahead and ordered the EGR/Oil cooler from bullet proof diesel and Installed it. Truck starts right up, there is very little smoke at first but as it starts heating up the smoke progresses. I have absolutley no coolant loss, No coolant in oil and no oil in coolant. The EGR valve was cleaned and reinstalled but is still unplugged. I took it up the road about a 1/4 mile and I have no power under heavy throttle. I can accelerate slowly but If I hit it hard it bogs down. Also can not hear the turbo spool up. Im fearing its a blow head gasket but hopeing its a bad turbo or injector. what do yall think? Is there anyway I can check to actually see if its the turbo with out having the dealership diagnose it.

#16 ·
Not that would cause the symptoms you describe. If you aren't hearing the turbo spool that is a big indicator. Are you sure the solenoid is plugged in good?

#17 ·
Solenoid is plugged in good. Started her up this morning to get a good whiff of the smoke, smells like fuel and burns the eyes very quick.

Say if the 3 plugs on the FICM were mixed up would the truck start at all? Im pretty sure I reassembled everything correctly but theres always that possibility. If ONLY the turbo was bad why would this cause the white smoke? Seems like I have more than one issue.

#20 ·
I just bought the bulletproofdiesel kit (EGR and oil cooler) and installed it my self. Im still having this issue tho. dont know whats going on with it?????? Atleast if I did replace the coolers for nothing I know the EGR cooler will never break again!!

#22 ·
Is this the only reading I need to take??

"Check the voltage on the screw closest to the fender and ground (Do not touch probe from screw to
case), key on engine off (cold less than 60F.) To check voltage, it is best to have 2 people, one reading
the voltage while the other turns the key on, do not start truck.
Record lowest voltage reading. Voltage should be greater than 45 volts, if not do repair procedure." -bscustoms.net

If so Ill take the reading today and let you know. If there is more to it could you most me a link or fill me in on the exact process. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.