Hello from a new member/ Powerstroke Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Hello from a new member/ Powerstroke Owner

How's it going everybody?? My name is Phil and as of Wednesday I will be the proud owner of a 2006 F250 4x4 Lariat CC w/ the 6.0. My previous truck was a Nissan Titan CC that I had done just about everything aftermarket to and could pull down a 13.7 1/4 mi time. I am looking for some advice on my mods on my new truck. These are the things I want to go after first and if there is anything I missed please fill in the gaps. I'm not looking for a track hungry truck. Just something that gets good fuel mileage (when my foots not buried to the floor) and has the extra pep I'm used too as well.

1. Exhaust- plans for just going with a straight pipe, but curious as to whether the Stock Cats would be worth looking into replacing?? Also I know there is something about the 6.4 that makes it not able to be straight piped or you risk blowing fire, there's nothing like that on this 6.0 is there??

2. CAI- I am a particular fan of the Volant ram air/ cold air compination along with the AFE PRO 5R, but want to hear what others more experienced than me recommend as the top dog??

3. Tuning- Definite fan of custom tuning rather than "out of the box" stuff but curious on which is the best option out there?? I was always told Edge was the best for Cummins and that Buillydog was an alright one as well. My girlfriend's brother in law has told me he can get me the Triple Dog GT tuner for half price but I've also heard that there is only one tuner out there that changes transmission functions as well so you don't tear your tranny up. Once again please recommend the best tuning option for my truck as well

Thanks alot guys and hope to hear from you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome... I've also owned a Titan and that (for a gasser) is a sweet truck. If I ever get rid of the 250 I will be going back.

Exhaust ditch the CAT if you can.

CAI they say reading on here that if you are making less that 500HP keep stocker. Spend the money elsewhere.

Programmer many recommend Innovative Diesel Performance. I have no personal experience with them yet but they come highly recommended.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Exhaust is fine, 5" is too big , 4" is big enough.

Air intake, the stock air intake is the best around, unless you are going up over 500HP, then you could think about changing.

Stay away from Edge for tuning. I hear they are Tranny killers. Go with SCT with custom tunes. I've heard Matt at Gearhead (I think that is where he is) and Eric at Innovative. Their tunes work with both motor and tranny.

Maintenance and OEM filters are a must.

Gauges, gauges gauges. ECT,EOT are important to watch. EGT, Tranny, boost, fuel pressure. Edge Insight with the EGT probe is a good way to go. I have a Scangauge II for most of my gauges. Planning for EGT and fuel pressure will be next.
Edge Insight and Scangauge II plug into the OBD port.

Oh, and Welcome!

Have fun! And enjoy the new ride. I love mine!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Welcome to the club. First and foremost before I'd do anything, especially if you're going to want some serious HP is ditch the head bolts and go with head studs. With the head bolts it's not if they'll go bad, it's when. Then I'd do gauges, tranny, boost, and egt. Tuner pretty much everyone on here will steer you towards SCT. Eric from Innovative and Matt from Gearhead performance do awesome tunes. I run everything they sell and you'll be happy. You can go straight pipe it want hurt a thing on the 6.0, just don't forget to get a bigger down pipe. The factory Donaldson intake is good for about 500 horses. I personally just went with an AFE drop in. Hope that help, I'm sure some more folks will chime in...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
back to business

^^^^ They've got it.

If you DO change the intake, I'd suggest AFE. Can't over state the need for gauges or some kind of moniter. Ditch that kitty. SCT with custom tuning is the ONLY way to go. I run programs from Innovative, Gearhead and quicktricks, can't complain about any of them (Matt's (gearhead), are what's on my truck 90% of the time, FWIW)

EDIT- and of course, headstuds, EGR delete (or bulletproof set up), oil cooler rebuild and coolant filter will help solve most common problems that arise , may want to pay BEFORE you play

Last edited by 07OUTLAW; 09-19-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

OK, so what SCT tuner is the best?? I like the Livewire model but not sure if the digital display is worth the extra expense over some of the others?? Which is the lease expensive SCT tuner that can have custom tunes written and loaded onto the truck with??
Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Personally, I went with the X3. X3 doesn't come with canned tunes so you will need to go the custom route....which is the way you want to go anyway. The reason I didn't do the the livewire was because a buddy of mine put one on his truck and the screen+unit was just way to big for me. I opted for the Edge Insight. Best bang for your buck in my opinion. If I would have had the extra money I would have gone with Insight CTS. I had to go with the old original one for now though. Eventually I will have me a CTS. Hope this helps!

Oh, and welcome to the crew man!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Ok, so where's the cheapest place online to purchase the SCT X3
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They are all going to be pretty much the same price. You can get one from Eric at IDP and get your tunes too. I think you can get one from Matt at Gearhead. Adam at FCDP can sell you one with IDP tunes as can Raul at Stealth. Support our vendors whenever possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.