my wonderful luck.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my wonderful luck....

after reading some here I guess I know already, but I am just looking for some confirmation.

I had starting issues right at the beginning of summer, took it to the dealer and the dummy plugs were replaced under warranty. Problem solved.

Started having problems again, took it back to the dealer the week of July 4th and the FICM was bad (which I had to tell him to check because I was pretty sure that's what it was the last time when the did the dummy plugs), they "checked it thoroughly this time" since I just had it there a few weeks before and said the EGR cooler was bad as well. They replaced the FICM, EGR cooler, changed my oil, glow plugs, reconditioned the turbo all under warranty (minus my $100 deductible).

Went to pick it up, and after getting in it to drive off noticed the check engine light was on, service writer said it was a harness that was bad... replaced it the next day and said to come pick it up (did not notice anything about a harness on the repair ticket though). Whatever, it was all fixed and under warranty with no lights on the dash. Problem solved.

Probably unrelated and just my luck, 2 weeks ago my alternator went bad. Replaced the alternator myself and noticed the coolant level was low, not much at all just noticed it from the markings on the degas bottle and dried white splatter droppings all over the area. Filled it back up and didn't think much about it since the alternator and new batteries were on my mind.

Now this week my truck runs like crap when its cold in the mornings, feels like its missing or out of gas.... until it warms up. Then it runs fine. I hop on here and read about 3 threads with the same exact problem. So I guess I am on my way back to the dealer this week, my question is...

oil cooler? EGR cooler already broken again? What should I tell this guy to look for when I take it back to him and tell him its F***ED UP again? I am almost at the end of my warranty and I want to make sure they fix the damn thing so I have enough time to save up enough money to fix it right after the warranty expires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Check the link in my sig.

you have stiction.

It's easy as hell to solve. Don't take it back to the dealer.

Rev-X oil additive

Or just change your oil to T5 10w-30.

Again, read the thread. TONS OF INFO
Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM

I agree with obsidian. I would also remind you to flush out the Ford Gold coolant , clean the system and replace it with Rotella , Fleetrite, etc etc ELC and add a COOLANT FILTER. You didnt mention whether the oil cooler was rebuilt and cleaned while they were in there replacing the EGR cooler. I hope you are aware that the EGR cooler typically fails because the oil cooler coolant passages are restricted with debris.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^ what he said, worked for me
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Out of curiosity, why get rid of the gold? I thought it was one of the best for our trucks?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_9876 View Post
Out of curiosity, why get rid of the gold? I thought it was one of the best for our trucks?
Silicates can clog the oil cooler coolant passages and we all know where that leads right? Experienced owners suggest you use Rotella , Fleetrite , Cat, Texaco etc etc ELC for diesel engines. Dont forget to add an effective coolant filter .

Suggest you use the search tool on the forum for more detailed and scientific answers. Its a prolific subject. At the end of the day , its your call.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

check the link in my sig for more info about the ford coolant
Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you tested your glow plug relay . The truck will act like that if it isn't working also .
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Night View Post
Have you tested your glow plug relay . The truck will act like that if it isn't working also .
no, how do you do that?

Maybe I find it with search....
Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
HAHAHA, do we own the same truck? Same problems here, got my ALT in the back seat, gonna install tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.