EGT's ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
LTJDS

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question EGT's ???

At first upon installing my Pyrometer it had appeared that I may have mounted it to close to an exhaust port on the head. The result of that being , primarily a 100F*-150F* increase in reading temps, but I fig that too hot was better than too cold and It would help me let off the GO Pedal sooner than later and only serve to increase my level of protection. I talked to a close friend about what his 7.3L reads at idle and another buddy that has a 6.0L and what his reads at idle.
Well here is the thing, After deciding to leave it in place and use that extra few degrees + to act as a buffer and a safety margin, I am now starting to see cooler temps, closer to what my friends PSD's are reading. I would rarely see my EGT's go below 400F* at idle, but as of recent , I have been able to get my gauge to read down to 300F*-350F* on ocassion ???

Would further break in , as increased mileage (i'm at 47K now) serv to help the engine run cooler pyro temps ?? I have changed to full synthetic my last oil change and this is the only thing that coincides with the timing of me seeing these cooler EGT's. This is all refering to temps at idle. I have been told by authority that you can expect to run 100F* per 10 miles per hour.
ex. 50 MPH = 500F* etc. etc. I find that at 90MPH she reads 800F* which I would believe is a good number at that speed.

From the begining prior to pyro install I had no kitty and no Muff on OEM pipe straight back and an AFE Stage 2 intake (Gold Filter) with pre filter sleve.
I am curious to know if it is normal for EGT's to be effected by
Mileage/break-in periods.

I am glad she is reading more consistently at idle and never felt their was an issue at readings taken at higher speeds. I am using an AutoMeter Cobalt Pyro gauge and am unaware of the gauge needing a break in period either.

I will be installing at least two more Pyro gauges in the future, 1 for water / meth and 1 for my SCT LiveWire when it becomes available.

It's not like it's WAY OFF , just curious as to why I am seeing a drop at idle after about a 60 day time from the install . (It is in my Exhaust Manifold)

Any input would be appreciated.............as always Thanx to all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure but i would imagine that you are right that as the motor breaks in the egts will go down. The synthetic will reduce the friction making it run cooler. I am not sure but it kinda makes sense.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

with the syn, oil making the temps cooler.Less friction=less heat
Old 06-10-2007, 02:54 PM
LTJDS

Question Bump... any other Sugg ?

My pyro goes all the way down to 300F*
B-4 she would never drop below 400 F*...????
Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ya might well be smoking the probe from having in the direct line of fire of the exhaust port.... O.O

I like to put them towards the outlet end of the cast iron manifold so that they are not directly in the blow torch like conditions of the exhaust port. If'n ya have any issues wit dat dear probe.... gimme a yell and we kin send U a 1/8-27 NPT plug and a shiny new probe to be relocated to a more hospitable area in the manifold!

Peace!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.