Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 6.0 today?

5M views 66K replies 2K participants last post by  Spikeophant 
#1 ·
Seems Im always doing some sort of project to my 6.0. Post what you have done to make your 6.0 better. Also post any pics if you got them!!
:icon_ford:

#48,321 · (Edited)
#48,322 ·
That's what 5.3s sound like and are notorious for when they have a lifter tick. But I am by no means an expert. But I'm sure one of these gentleman will know exactly what it is

#48,324 ·
Mobil one 5w40 and archoil. Idled here at the house for about 5 min while i went inside and cleaned up a little, went up my driveway about 1/4 long, pulled out onto the road, taking it easy, prob 2500 max rpm, not even 1/2 mile down the road it started all of a sudden, nothing gradual, just stnoarted the sound. Limped it back home, pulled the intake, turbo is fine. It was getting a little better sounding then i revved it to about 3k, and it got loud again even at idle. Now its on high idle and it starting to quiet down a little but still there

#48,325 ·
See should have used T6....:hehe: Had too sorry......

Super weird coincidence that is started after the turbo and oil change. Were you running a 5w40 before.....an old mechanic trick would be to throw a couple of quarts of trans fluid in the oil and see if the noise stops, its definitely a lifter, but that would be a huge waste of Mobil 1. Unfortunately if revving it doesn't make it go away then there most likely is no hope for that lifter as oil pressure would be high enough it should pump up. No codes at all?? Usually a collapsed lifter will throw a contribution code.

#48,327 ·
Been running synthetic for years, mobil 1 for 3 years. I gotta get to work in the morning, how much more damage am i gonna do by driving it?

Any tricks i can try to stop the turbo from spinning outside changing up pipes and all back to vgt turbo just to make sure and rule that out?

#48,328 ·
My dad seems to think rod bearing. IDK, i just don't see that, i don't dog this truck

#48,332 ·
What exactly did you remove when doing the up pipes?
Just the up pipes. And turbo of course. That's it. The only openings for foreign material was the turbo drain and feed connections.

Reactions: Six0~Stroker
#48,333 ·
What's a good oil bypass filter for these trucks? I like the amsoil one but need the mount that puts it next to the alternator...any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I have a NUC oil bypass that comes off the alternator and also drilled a hole in the bar for my coolant filter. NUC also makes a kit that goes on the frame.

#48,334 ·
Lifter is engine out job right? Any harm in driving it?

#48,336 ·
Crap, how do determine which? Dang this sucks. If engine is coming out, its getting extras, not just stock replacements.

Any harm in driving it as needed?

#48,339 ·
@j.mo you might have the air but you need sticks and fuel now. Oh and let's not forget about the transmission[emoji14]oke
I'm not going for any crazy hp. My truck will support 600-650 as it is. That's all I'm going for. A nice solid tow rig with low egts. Going with an s366/s475