6.0 Radiator cap?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Radiator cap??

As some know I have just purshased a 2005 f350 PSD.. Then took it to dealer for service.. Everything was OK according to dealer cleaned and flushed coolant, tranny fluid, fuel filter and oil change(see my other post)..

Well the dealer overfilled it a bit so on my 200+ mile trip.. I stopped at a rest stop and noticed that the bottle had puked very little(funny though the fluid was no where near the cap... so wiped everything down and set off again...Upon my arival at my destination I popped the hood and heard a hissing noise coming from the Degas bottle cap(the collant wasn't overheating and was well below the cap)little experiment parked the truck on a decline and shook the bottle a little and coolant puked out a little.. So my question is should the cap vent when its not overheating.. .. Because Im wondering if with the cap venting and the coolant sloshing around in the bottle could cause the loss of coolant??? Should the cap vent when the engine is off and not overheating???( I also noticed that the everso slight downward pressure on the cap stops the venting)

Oh yeah one more thing this morning cold (overnight) When I opend the cap It released pressure..So I believe the pressure isnt leaking down significantly..

Also want to mention there is no smoke what so ever and strarts immediatly..

Thank you

Thoughts and opinions

Last edited by Speedjester; 07-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 12:10 PM

anyone any opinions... Thoughts...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Is the coolant in the degas bottle filled to the min or max line on the side.

The min line is where it should be when cold.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I believe there is a TSB or something about the degass bottle cap. Someone will chime in, or ask your dealer......Steve
Old 07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

The degass bottle has the dealer updated sticker.. Which puts the min about 1/2 inch lower than min on the bottle... I cant see how the truck could be overheating... temp gauge never goes over the half mark... I cant see it being the head gasket especially with no other symptoms.t. No smoke at all even first start... and at the very least I would figure that when there was no compression on the engine(off) the pressure from the cooling system would drain into the cylinder and cause at least a puff of whitish smoke...

Just took the truck for a short ride no major boost kept it below 15 psi getting on highway... When I got home popped the hood and the bottle was hissing... Like it was over heating but coolant wasn't bubbling.. I would also believe that if it was the head gaskets wouldn't the hot combustion gasses heat the coolant and effect engine temp...

Coolant is clear golden and translucent.....

wondering if the cap could be causing these symptoms..

Thoughts and opinions please..

Thank you
Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 PM

The cap could be bad - they are cheap.

Your OEM temperature gauge is just an idiot light. It really does not indicate temeprature well.

If it isn't head gaskets leaking gas into the coolant system what else could it be (assuming you rule out a bad cap that could vent gas just from liquid expansion compressing the air that is in the degas bottle)?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
The cap could be bad - they are cheap.

Your OEM temperature gauge is just an idiot light. It really does not indicate temeprature well.

If it isn't head gaskets leaking gas into the coolant system what else could it be (assuming you rule out a bad cap that could vent gas just from liquid expansion compressing the air that is in the degas bottle)?

I would normally assume headgasket.. But being the only symptom I was wondering what other thought...

I have changed quite a few headgaskets(never a diesel).. I had a BBC with a blower that would blow gaskets every few passes.. And it always showed other symptoms... white smoke, overheating, visible water in oil or oil in coolant....

So I was wondering what others thought.. and I do intend to pickup another cap....
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 PM

The 6.0L is not like any other beast ................
Old 08-01-2010, 07:59 AM

its just too full on coolant, its fine, if i fill my truck to the min line when cold (no sticker) and get it hot it will puke a bit of coolant out until it get the cold level to about ahalf inch below the min mark. it always has after it does that it fine no more puking.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Well changed cap and all is good ...300 miles and no coolant puking also coolant didn't fluctuate like it did before .... I thank the diesel gods.... and everyone here for there help...

Last edited by Speedjester; 08-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.