Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Nee more MPG out of my '03 6.0L Powerstroke

23K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  ptsk06tank 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas...Please give me your opinions on what modifications to make (as cost effective as possible) to get this truck to get better fuel mileage. F250 Supercab, No muffler and the rest is 00% stock with 91,000 miles.

What has an has not worked for ou.

Prefer something I can just plug-in and go.

Thanks,
Matt

#27 ·
I invite you guys to see my truck. We will take it out on a 100 mile trip and I will show you the 22mpg I get.

#29 ·
I have got 21 in the far ago past. Stock tires, stock height, extreme street, straight pipe, tailgate down, no spare or skid plates.

#30 ·
6.0 MPG

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke.
K & N Filter Intake System
4" Exhaust from Turbo back with no Cat.
SCT Live Wire Street Tune

OK with all these add on's my MPG's were around 15 on the HWY. I have heard how everyone gets such great MPG's with these motors but I thought people were just exaggerating a little. However someone told me that my Up Pipe was leaking and causing me to lose boost and in turn my engine was working harder just to maintain a decent speed. There was sout underneath my firewall and I smelled diesel in the cab when the AC was on. Well I took First Coast Diesel Performance's advice and spent $2,300.00 on an EGR Delete with passenger side aftermarket up pipe and driver's side OEM replacement Up Pipe. (They found that both were cracked) I also bought an Edge Insight (Color Touch Screen) which monitors everything you can imagine. After spending every dime I had I'm happy to say I filled up my 44 gallon tank, drove 100 miles, filled it back up and did the math..... TWICE.

23.1 mpg!!!!!!!!
The EGR is a must!!!!!!! It runs cooler and smoother than ever.

#31 ·
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke.
K & N Filter Intake System
4" Exhaust from Turbo back with no Cat.
SCT Live Wire Street Tune

OK with all these add on's my MPG's were around 15 on the HWY. I have heard how everyone gets such great MPG's with these motors but I thought people were just exaggerating a little. However someone told me that my Up Pipe was leaking and causing me to lose boost and in turn my engine was working harder just to maintain a decent speed. There was sout underneath my firewall and I smelled diesel in the cab when the AC was on. Well I took First Coast Diesel Performance's advice and spent $2,300.00 on an EGR Delete with passenger side aftermarket up pipe and driver's side OEM replacement Up Pipe. (They found that both were cracked) I also bought an Edge Insight (Color Touch Screen) which monitors everything you can imagine. After spending every dime I had I'm happy to say I filled up my 44 gallon tank, drove 100 miles, filled it back up and did the math..... TWICE.

23.1 mpg!!!!!!!!
The EGR is a must!!!!!!! It runs cooler and smoother than ever.

#33 ·
I did the egr last month and finally got my tuner 1+ weeks ago. I was still getting 14mpg combine with the CEL on. I finally filled the tank and will see what the tuner brings for a stock truck with egr delete. SCT tuner set on custom street (Innovative Diesel). I also have the tow/brake as well. I hope to test that this weekend pulling my TJ to a run 90 miles away. I've been told I can run on the tow tune without pushing the 'tow' button on the shifter while not towing.

Plans for cat test pipe and hi-flow muffler next upgrades. I'd also like to get a set of gauges (electronic screen) to watch the egt, trans temps. I probably should get to the bad unit bearing and ujoints first though.

#34 ·
Here are the highs and lows of what I have encountered on my 6.0.

Stock: Averaged 10-11mpg combined

Edge Tuner(econo tune)/ 4in Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust: Averaged 13-14mpg combined

Edge Tuner(econo tune)/ 4in Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust/ 6in lift on 35s: Averaged 15-16mpg combined

SCT Tuner (extreme street and easy on the go fast pedal)/ 4in Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust/ 6in lift on 35s: Averaged 13-14mpg combined

SCT Tuner (extreme street and easy on the go fast pedal)/ 4in Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust/ 6in lift on 35s/ AEM Intake: Averaged 11-12mpg combined

SCT Tuner (extreme street and easy on the go fast pedal)/ 4in Silverline Turbo Back Exhaust/ 6in lift on 35s/ EGR Delete/ New oil cooler (took off AEM Intake): Averaged TBA In shop getting EGR Delete and new oil cooler.

Noted: My speedo was off 5mph at 70mph due to larger tires. I did add this into the fuel calculation. Also running 3.73 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.