07-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Getting ready to change coolant
What the heck do you guys use to catch all the water that it takes to flush the coolant? The engine holds 27.5 quarts per my manual, which is just shy of 7 gallons. So by the time I drain, fill/flush, fill/flush, I'm going to have 21 gallons of toxic liquid to store until I can take it to the shop and dispose of it.
Also, I want to make sure my procedure is right:
1. Drain the old coolant.
2. Refill system with 7 gal distilled water plus VC-9 (1 qt or 2 qts?).
3. Run truck until engine is at normal temp.
4. Shut engine off and wait for it to cool.
5. Drain water/VC-9 mix.
6. Repeat 2 - 5 as necessary, using only distilled water (no more VC-9).
7. Refill with 50/50 mix of Motorcraft Yellow Coolant and distilled water.