Power Steering Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Leak

Hello all i have an f-250 FX4 with a power steering leak, it seems to be somewhere under the master cylinder, i cant seem to find the leak though, i used some stop leak **** seemed to work for a month or so then started to leak again so im thinking maybe an o-ring or something.
does anyone know if there is a common place that these leak? Other than the leek it drives and steers fine, im just tired of buying tranny fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM

So i have found out where my leak is it is the hose that connects to the master cylinder for the hydra boost. Gonna replace that this week. So do i just pop this hose off and replace it or is there a special way you know flushing draining etc.

and i also found this nut with a big washer and rubber absorber thing in the engine bay, i dont think it fell off anything but maybe it was left in there when the leveling kit was installed or something pics below. zippo for size ref.

Power Steering Leak-100_0416.jpg

Power Steering Leak-100_0418.jpg
Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 PM

anybody bump
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Emergency Services

looks like a shock nut/bushing to me.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 PM

that's what i thought but i checked my shocks and they were good, maybe left over from when the leveling kit was thrown on
Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstephens1962 View Post
So i have found out where my leak is it is the hose that connects to the master cylinder for the hydra boost. Gonna replace that this week. So do i just pop this hose off and replace it or is there a special way you know flushing draining etc.

and i also found this nut with a big washer and rubber absorber thing in the engine bay, i dont think it fell off anything but maybe it was left in there when the leveling kit was installed or something pics below. zippo for size ref.

Attachment 16490

Attachment 16491
Definitely looks like a shock bushing. Could have gotten dropped when installing the leveling kit. As long as both your front shocks have one on them I wouldnt worry about it.

As for replacing the hose you can just unscrew the hose, make sure you have a drain pan underneath to catch the fluid. Then install the new hose. You probably wont loose all the fluid since the hydroboost is up higher than the steering box. After the new hose is in just top up the power steering reservoir. Then start the truck and turn the steering lock to lock a few times and recheck the fluid. It will go down as the air in the system is purged out. Turning the steering lock to lock will help purge the air out.

Or if the fluid in your steering system smells burnt or is a dark color you could flush the system. I am not sure of the recommended way to flush the system though as I have never done it.

Also where is the line leaking from? Did you make sure the line isnt just loose? I would hate to see you buy a new line if the only problem is the line has come loose.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Power Steering

It's good that you already found the leak which connects to your master cylinder and hyrda boost. All you need know is to replace your rubber absorber or your shock absorber.

Last edited by reinaldo; 10-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.