I have a vibration in 4x4 on the front after I installed lift. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a vibration in 4x4 on the front after I installed lift.

Hi guys,
I installed a 6.5" lift on my 03 crew cab short box. Now, in four wheel drive it has a noticable vibration coming from the front end. The front drive shaft is at a pretty good angle- I beleive that is my problem. Does somebody make a front driveshaft with a cv joint? I don't see any options for cv drive shafts from aftermarket companies websites. Any opinions on how to fix this problem is greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Try shimming the front axle

You can find a few different angles as well Steel 2.5 Degree Shims by Blue Torch Fabworks and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Thats odd that your having vib issues with only 6.5" of lift. Unless something is installed incorrectly or Pro Comp fudged on something you should not have any vibs until 10"+ of lift. Try to isolate where the vibration is coming from if possible. A custom driveshaft from a local shop would be a possible fix, aswell as pinon angle shims, or a transfer case clocking ring. But again, I think something else is going on here....
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I should mention that when I say vibration, its not that noticable, I get paraniod when it comes to my truck. I asked the wife what she thinks and she said she could hardly notice it, maybe I'm being to picky. NotStock, since you mentioned something might be wrong I called procomp. I talked to Jeff and he said check the slip yoke to see how far its pulled out and check the cv joint at the transfer case. I did a quick visual on that, the yokes look real close- I can't see any space between them but when it sits normal the shaft spins freely. Maybe under torque they are touching? When I had it aligned, he said it was damn near perfect, they didn't have to change the alignment shims. The truck is excellent w/ only 68,000 on her. Very seldom I use 4x4. The truck is in my signiture.

Last edited by thundermaker; 07-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Where are you feeling the vib, the steering wheel? Big tires are hard to balance at times, that could be all it is....
Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Where are you feeling the vib, the steering wheel? Big tires are hard to balance at times, that could be all it is....
I feel it in the front end, maybe its just normal for it being a 6.5" lift. Its not bad, but I notice everything. When its in 2wd, even with 325's it drives perfect. I don't know, its probably nothing.. maybe its me.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM

I WOULD SAY CHECK ALL YOUR U JOINTS AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY PLAY IN THEM BECAUSE IF ONE ON YOUR FRONT DRIVE SHAFT CAN MAKE IT VIBRATE AT SLOWER SPEEDS IF THAT IS THE CASE I RAN INTO THAT WITH A COUPLE TRUCKS AT THE SHOP I WORK AT
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLUE13 View Post
I WOULD SAY CHECK ALL YOUR U JOINTS AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY PLAY IN THEM BECAUSE IF ONE ON YOUR FRONT DRIVE SHAFT CAN MAKE IT VIBRATE AT SLOWER SPEEDS IF THAT IS THE CASE I RAN INTO THAT WITH A COUPLE TRUCKS AT THE SHOP I WORK AT
I'll check tomarrow, maybe the cv joint is getting alittle sloppy. Maybe because I don't use 4x4 that often and is garaged during the winter they are drying up. Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Lt. Negativity

Why would you want a CV joint, also something could have been installed wrong, I have 9.5 inch of lift and never extended my driveshaft its still the stock length and all might wanna relook at everything.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 AM

I had a brain fart when I first mentioned a cv joint, I forgot it already had one on the transfer case side. U-joints on the front feel good. But I did notice the front driveshaft does have alittle slop in the slip yoke- maybe a little more then a 1/16".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.