Tighten Steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tighten Steering

I've used the search function and for some reason can't find the write up on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to tighten up my steering box?

Link would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
on an 03 you just attack the steering box from the top, you can see a nut with a bolt tyep deal in the middle.... its been awhile sorry for poor desription..... you will see when you look... the outter nut just tightens the thing down to hold the center.. the inner bolt controls the tightness, just use a wrench on the outter, loosen it, then hold it from moving, then rotate that inner bolt clockwise half a turn and then hold it in place and tighten the outter nut..... most guys preach to adjust in 1/8 turns..... so it does not take much.... i think about half turn did the trick.... after that jack both front wheels off the ground and spin the wheel back and forth, if there is any resistance or noises, you got it to tight, back it off some.....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I dont know what problem you are having but I just purchased a REDHEAD steering box. I have some serious wandering issues with my steering and it is getting a little old.

This new built up steering box is supposed to fix the problem..I have read several other posts that praise these boxes.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Price tag on the new box . Mine is getting sloppy to for some reason!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hickman View Post
Price tag on the new box . Mine is getting sloppy to for some reason!
Well you have two options...

1. you can get a used rebuilt/built up steering box for like 100 bucks cheaper

or

2. you can get a brand new OEM built up steering box...

I chose option #2 and it ran me 725.00 shipped. Once you ship back the old steering box you get a 250.00 core back. The 725.00 also included shipping back to them. So 475.00 shipped for a brand new built up steering box..lol

The stock steering boxes just cant handle these big ol tires very well..whatever REDHEAD does to build them up prevents the boxes from wearing so damn easy.

I havent put it on yet because I have just had alot going on with loosing my job and all...plus I need to go rent a few tools. I will put up a fresh posting once I get it on and let you know how it worked out.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Are there any adjustments possible on 05+ trucks? Mine has gotten a little sloppy too, been thinking about trying one of the redheads models. If I can adjust it in the meantime that would be great.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just the adjustment technique that JetJock describes above. Loosen the jam nut on the top of the factory steerbox with a 9/16" wrench. While holding the jam nut with the wrench, take a 4.5mm allen wrench and tighten the adjustment screw in 1/8 increments, so looking at a clock, go from 12o'clock to 2o'clock and then tighten down the jam nut. Take it for a drive (just around the block) and it should have reduced some of the slop. Keep adjusting it until the slop is gone or you have difficulty or binding in the steerbox. If it gets to that point, you will need to replace the steerbox.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No problem. Those might be the wrong wrench sizes, since I was trying to go by memory. Oh and you'll need to pull your air filter out since it is just under the air box and you'll need to push your lower radiator hose out of the way. It's not a difficult procedure, though.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM

I have 35 " tires on my 04 F250 and only got about 60k on my stock steering box before it was done. Was told this is pretty common with big tires. I replaced the stock box with a redhead steering box which seems to be tighter than the stock one was. I have only had it on for about 15k miles so I can't say how the longevity will be compared to stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.