how to bulletproof 6L diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to bulletproof 6L diesel

i would like to start by saying i know nothing about tuning or running a custom program for a vehicle,that being said i have heard good and bad things about changing your factory program. i am looking to better the vehicle for fuel economy and vehicle longevity, not for racing, i own a 07 350 diesel srw with 180,000 klms (yes i am Canadian ) i tow now and then but not heavy loads like some avg load 10,000 lbs.what are the advantages of a dp tuner and the smc tuner?has dp tuner and smc programs been tried and tested to ensure proper programing not to destroy vehicle?also could anyone describe the difference in the different programmers you have, and the difference in the different programs avail for my truck...thanks you very much ...
so far what i have found are these specific updates. i have not included head bolts,because i have already done heads and head bolts on my truck.
if anyone has anything to add please post your comments and fixes for your situation.
1.Evolution CTS Diesel guage or equivilent
Edge Products| Product
2.2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filtration System
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
3.Bullet Proof Engine Oil System/Cooler for your 2005-2007 F-Series Ford Power Stroke Diesel
BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
4.Bullet Proof your EGR Cooler
this next mod i am not 100% sure looking for info on this tuner.
5.SCT SF3 Power Flash Hand-held Programmer
SCT Automotive Performance Products
is this a tried and tested bulletproof setup?
i have not tried this setup, i am looking at these products to make a bulletproof 6L
what is your tried and tested bulletproof setup? thanx in advance to everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy4x4 View Post
i would like to start by saying i know nothing about tuning or running a custom program for a vehicle,that being said i have heard good and bad things about changing your factory program. i am looking to better the vehicle for fuel economy and vehicle longevity, not for racing, i own a 07 350 diesel srw with 180,000 klms (yes i am Canadian ) i tow now and then but not heavy loads like some avg load 10,000 lbs.what are the advantages of a dp tuner and the smc tuner?has dp tuner and smc programs been tried and tested to ensure proper programing not to destroy vehicle?also could anyone describe the difference in the different programmers you have, and the difference in the different programs avail for my truck...thanks you very much ...
so far what i have found are these specific updates. i have not included head bolts,because i have already done heads and head bolts on my truck.
if anyone has anything to add please post your comments and fixes for your situation.
1.Evolution CTS Diesel guage or equivilent
Edge Products| Product
2.2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filtration System
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
3.Bullet Proof Engine Oil System/Cooler for your 2005-2007 F-Series Ford Power Stroke Diesel
4.Bullet Proof your EGR Cooler
this next mod i am not 100% sure looking for info on this tuner.
5.SCT SF3 Power Flash Hand-held Programmer
SCT Automotive Performance Products
is this a tried and tested bulletproof setup?
i have not tried this setup, i am looking at these products to make a bulletproof 6L
what is your tried and tested bulletproof setup? thanx in advance to everyone...
EGR delete, head studs (NOT BOLTS), SCT with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel, Elite Diesel, Gearhead, etc. A coolant filtration system and oil bypass will definately help also. You need a good set of gauges before the programmer and I would recommend a 4" exhaust also. The main things to focus on to make it the most reliable are the studs and EGR delete.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Sounds pretty good to me. From what I have learned from this site, if you do head stud, (which you have done) rebuild the oil cooler and do something with the egr cooler you should have a pretty solid 6.0L. As for the sct tuner im not sure about it but most guys on here love them. you will want some gauges to keep track of temps. or the evolution will work great for that. im sure i hit all things, but if i missed something, someone else will have to chime in.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am running everything you mention in your post EXCEPT number 1, since mine are manual gauges. SCT with custom tunes are your best bet to ensure a long engine/tranny life. I went with the BulletProof setup for both my EGR cooler (I have been through 4 of them) and my oil cooler (Been through 2 of them) in my 105k miles. I don't want to have to worry about those items failing on me and leaving me stranded... I would suggest that you take a look and confirm if your heads are held by bolts or studs and if bolts, you strongly consider upgrading to head studs. I'm running ARP's myself. There are a bunch of things you should look into while you are upgrading your stock components, like upgraded STC fitting, improved drain tube (yours might already be the new style since it is 07), upgraded turbo oil feed tube.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
ARP Head Studs, RCD EGR Delete, Edge Insight, SCT with Custom Tunes, Coolant Filter (still waiting...), and stock intake with filtered Zoodad.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Lt. Negativity

Shawn so you did the oil cooler delete ?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I am running everything you mention in your post EXCEPT number 1, since mine are manual gauges. SCT with custom tunes are your best bet to ensure a long engine/tranny life. I went with the BulletProof setup for both my EGR cooler (I have been through 4 of them) and my oil cooler (Been through 2 of them) in my 105k miles. I don't want to have to worry about those items failing on me and leaving me stranded... I would suggest that you take a look and confirm if your heads are held by bolts or studs and if bolts, you strongly consider upgrading to head studs. I'm running ARP's myself. There are a bunch of things you should look into while you are upgrading your stock components, like upgraded STC fitting, improved drain tube (yours might already be the new style since it is 07), upgraded turbo oil feed tube.
i will check the head bolts to see if they are stud or not
what is the stc fitting and the drain tube and turbo oil feed tube? great info thanks everyone keep em coming
Old 07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
ARP Head Studs, RCD EGR Delete, Edge Insight, SCT with Custom Tunes, Coolant Filter (still waiting...), and stock intake with filtered Zoodad.
what does the zoodad mod do?
unfortunately because in Canada we have to government safety the truck yearly so egr delete is not an option.
thanks everyone great info
Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy4x4 View Post
what does the zoodad mod do?
unfortunately because in Canada we have to government safety the truck yearly so egr delete is not an option.
thanks everyone great info
Most deletes just block the hole where the EGR sits, so when you have to have it checked you could just take the block plate off and stick tha valve back in place.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Most deletes just block the hole where the EGR sits, so when you have to have it checked you could just take the block plate off and stick tha valve back in place.
dummy question lol...what is the point to deleting egr if the problem is with the cooler, i have the egr baffle installed in my truck as well, do you have a link to a quality product...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.