Yet another headstud related question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet another headstud related question

First of all, if this was supposed to be posted somewhere else I wasn't sure where and I apologize for crapping things up here. Anyway...

I've got an 04 f250 6.0 w/ 110k miles on it and its puking coolant pretty bad and all around running like sh*t. I've checked it out myself and got second and third opinions from local mechanics and the conclusion is that it needs headstuds/gaskets and probably the heads milled. BTW, this truck has an RCD egr del kit put in 15k miles ago and other than a zoodad mod that the previous owner did, it seems to be pretty much stock as far as I can tell.

I called around to any place within an hour and a half drive of here (bastrop TX) and so far every shop has quoted me at 5500-6000 to do the job. Somehow this strikes me as kinda ridiculous considering that I've seen a couple places online that sell remanufactured 6.0 motors for around 6k.

Is this really a fair/normal price for doing this job? I would imagine any place worth their salt would have the process down by now and wouldn't be bleeding someone this much over it. Or I could be totally wrong and theres a damn good reason for it being that costly. It just seems horrendously steep to me...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by colonyofdrones; 07-16-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats to much !! Contact the guys here is San Antonio Tx and tell them I sent you. The shop is Welcome to Truck Source Diesel 210-654-6767 they will not stick it to you and are not phone salesmen!!! Ask for Chris B or Chris A , If you call friday ask for Chris B , tell him I refered you to them. I don't mke a dime in having my name dropped !
Truck Source Diesel. 210-654-6767
Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Pretty much what he said....it shouldnt cost more than about 2500 parts and labor just to do studs and gaskets.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Thank you for your replies. Mike, I took your advice and spoke to Chris at Truck Source in SA. Very helpful folks there being patient answering my barrage of questions. They are also about half the price of any shop around here! That place seems like they will be well worth the 2 hr. drive south. Now about the money...
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Personally I'd be afraid to drop Mike's name in fear that they'd charge me double just for knowing him.

Hell maybe I'll call and see what they'd charge just for the labor since I'll already have the parts.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, now the other problem I've gotta deal with is finding a decent rollback truck service to get my truck to SA. I really don't think it would be that great of an idea to drive it much more since it's been puking pretty bad for a couple weeks already. The only reason I've been driving it at all is to get to work. I live in the sticks and nobody can give me a ride to work in Austin.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM

I called them and told them I DON'T know Mike..... they said $1800 !

Just kidding.... couldn't resist !
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Key View Post
I called them and told them I DON'T know Mike..... they said $1800 !

Just kidding.... couldn't resist !
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM

HhHA Thats great guys !!!!! Fantom If you come here lol I have that bag of two day old shrimp thats been in the sun waiting for you :} hahah
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonyofdrones View Post
Yeah, now the other problem I've gotta deal with is finding a decent rollback truck service to get my truck to SA. I really don't think it would be that great of an idea to drive it much more since it's been puking pretty bad for a couple weeks already. The only reason I've been driving it at all is to get to work. I live in the sticks and nobody can give me a ride to work in Austin.
There is a member here in the Texas forum that does hot shots , Can't hurt to try him out might be a lil cheaper !!! I'll look him up and post his name here..

His anme is BryanH here is his info . http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/members/21787.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.