'05 Excursion - Blowing turbo boot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'05 Excursion - Blowing turbo boot

We recently had issues with the boot blowing off the turbo intercooler. We were towing a medium weight travel trailer out to Yellowstone. Virtually every time we tried to climb a hill at freeway speeds, the transmission would down-sift and the boot would blow. The first time it happened it scared the ‘you know what’ out of me and the wife. We had no idea what happened or what to do about it. We figured it out and got it bolted back on. However, through the course of the trip we spent many hours along side the freeway and ended up at three different Ford dealerships. The first two removed the boot, cleaned it up, bolted it back together and said everything looked good and it should not happen again. I insisted the third dealership (stopped at on the way home) replace the boot entirely. This seemed to address the problem, as the boot did not blow the rest of the way home. In hindsight, I wish I would have done that the first time. It would have made the trip home much less stressful.

I took the truck to our hometown dealer when we got back. They disassembled the turbo to make sure nothing was going on that would cause an over-boost and said everything looked fine. They also replaced the boot yet again and got me an extra new one to carry in the truck just in case.

While it hasn’t blown since, we’ve lost confidence in the vehicle and cringe every time we hit a hill. Is this a common problem? Can anyone give us some reassurance that this won’t happen every time we go on a medium to long road trip?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can completely understand your concern. When I first replaced my oil cooler, during the test drive I blew a boot off, scares the bejesus out of you. I was close to home, cleaned it REALLY well then sprayed hair spray on the boot and reassembled. Since then, I haven't had any issues with the boot coming off, but I carry an extra band clamp just in case. If you don't have it already, get your self some gauges. I have an edge insight which will monitor the critical temperatures, as well as boost. With these gauges you will be able to see if you are over boosting, over heating or beginning to have other issues. While there is no guarantee that your boots won't come off again, monitoring your pressures and temperatures will certainly help you know if you have a potential to have issues. The dash gauges are NOT good indicators.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM

i have never had any luck with 6liters reusing a boot after they blow off..I always just go ahead and put new ones on it
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How frequent of an event is this and are the 6.0's the only ones susceptible? As I mentioned earlier, we have lost confidence in the Ex. The main reason we bought the truck is to pull our camper. The wife is ready to dump the thing all together and move on to 3/4 or 1 ton PU (something other than Ford). She was anti-Ford to begin with so this isn't helping me out any. I love the truck and would like to hang on to it but not if this is a regular occurrence.

Anyone able to give me some ammunition to help hang on to the Ex or perhaps move to a 6.4?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

if something this small is making you rethink owning it then what are you going to do about egr coolers, oil coolers, head gaskets, etc. unless you've already addressed those weak points that is.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevder View Post
How frequent of an event is this and are the 6.0's the only ones susceptible? As I mentioned earlier, we have lost confidence in the Ex. The main reason we bought the truck is to pull our camper. The wife is ready to dump the thing all together and move on to 3/4 or 1 ton PU (something other than Ford). She was anti-Ford to begin with so this isn't helping me out any. I love the truck and would like to hang on to it but not if this is a regular occurrence.

Anyone able to give me some ammunition to help hang on to the Ex or perhaps move to a 6.4?
Oil builds up on the boots over time and can cause this to happen, but can happen on any vehicle with an intercooler..... If this is the only major issue you've had, keep it and run it. And if you want to regain confidence in the truck, just go out and mash on it when you come up to some hills. FWIW, the 6.4 is even more likely to blow boots from the higher boost levels, though the aftermarket has a quick and simple solution for it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:56 AM

I haven't had any such issues and I take a lot of medium long trips. But if you're going to dump it, and if at all possible look into the 6.7
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess that is what I'm looking for you all to help me with. Is it really a small thing or is it a larger problem? I would consider a one-time occurrence as a small thing. However, as I stated in my original post, we lost the thing multiple, multiple times. We spent many hours stranded beside the freeway waiting for the engine to cool down enough for us to bolt it back together only to have it pop a couple of miles down the road. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my vacation time. I would not consider this "small" if I am going to have to deal with this every few trips.

As I mentioned earlier, in retrospect I wish the first dealer or even second dealer we visited would have recommended changing the boot instead of telling us that "It is fine and will probably never happen again". I'm sure I would have an entire different persepctive if we just replaced it after the first inscident and avoided all the other issues. Unless of course this is a regular thing that happens. Is there a life expectancy for these things? I.e. should I replace the boot every year? Or is it rare enough that I should just chalk this up to a bad experience, learn from it and move on? Are there other "boots" like the one off the intercooler that I should be concerned about?

This site is great with a wealth of information and for the most part folks have been real helpful. We haven't had the truck for that long and this is our first diesel so please bear with me.

Thanks,
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM

The downshift causes backpressure to go up which will spin the turbo faster causing a sharp rise in boost. If the vanes don't move open fast enough you can have a momentary overboost, which is completely harmless other than the boot blow off. Now, if the truck isn't driven very often or is babied, this can cause rust and soot to build up on the turbo vanes (which will happen on any vgt turbo) and cause them to stick temporarily, which can lead to overboost or noboost situations. you can get aftermarket boots for the ex that are designed to clamp down tighter and eliminate your issue.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Try the hair spray trick that Karl mentions and if that doesn't work, replace the stock intercooler boots with some aftermarket boots that won't absorb the oil and so won't be susceptible to coming off. They will if you don't torque down the clamps though... (I missed one when I was replacing mine and was on the cell phone for a test drive with Granny and she heard it blow off... )

PS. I tow a 12k lb toy hauler up some monster hills here in AZ and my boots are holding great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.