Any input, opinions appreciated. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any input, opinions appreciated.

Hi Guys, I have been reading alot on here the past couple of weeks. Tons of great info Thanks.

I bought a 2004 F350 CC with 85k km on it a couple of weeks ago and every thing appears to be stock(cannot get a hold of original owner).
So my question is I am trying to find the best/most important order of doing mods.

This is the order I was thinking of, as money allows.Please let me know if this seems right or I should change or add anything.

1-coolant filter
2-egr delete
3-oil cooler--Do I need this with egr dele.?
4-Edge insight
5-then cosmetics ie. leveling kit bigger tires etc.

I'm hoping with these done I will not have to do the studs (fingers crossed)

I use the truck mostly just for daily driver but put on camper approx. 2200 lbs and tow a small boat a few times each summer.I have no desire for tuner or anything and will not be going too big with tires , just want to fill the wells a little better.

Well thanks for all I have learned here and thanks for any input.

Burke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you do the EGR delete you will want to go with an SCT programmer. SCT has the ability to turn off or block the check engine light you will get from deleteing your EGR. Besides SCT is used by 90% of the peolple on here and will offer the most support in the long run. In my opinion I would put the EGR first since it is the cause of most problems with the 6.0. You need to have the programmer when you do the delete though so those two should be done at the same time. Just my thoughts on your questions. Their are a lot of people on here that know a ton more than I do about these trucks.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks tnet.
I thought I read that an 04 should not throw a cel with an egr delete? I did read that an SCT would clear this if it did but it does noes not have any parameter reading ability is this correct? I came from a 97 Cummins with gauges and loved seeing what was going on in the motor but like the option of all the capabilities of the insight without all the gauges on the pillar.

On a side note this ford makes my old Dodge with the fuel pump cranked look like an old dog with a broken leg. LOL

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 AM

I was in the same boat not to long ago! I ended up getting my Edge Insight first. The reason was to see what all was going on with my engine. Got it hooked up at the same time I started leaking coolant. Did my EGR and oil cooler and head studs at the same time. Then orderd my SCT. But mine is a 05 model and threw my CEL. Coolant filter is on the way soon.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Lt. Negativity

Your list is pretty good to start with. Id advise getting rid of the EGR just to save you the headache if it goes.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM

If you go with the SCT TSX you can see just about anything you want with it. Although I am currently having an issue seeing my EGT but, I am sure it is operator error. As for the CEL from what I have read it is hit or miss with the '04 model.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am going to Delete the EGR too, what the best company to go with on the delete kit, for the money you know?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
thanks tnet.
I thought I read that an 04 should not throw a cel with an egr delete? I did read that an SCT would clear this if it did but it does noes not have any parameter reading ability is this correct? I came from a 97 Cummins with gauges and loved seeing what was going on in the motor but like the option of all the capabilities of the insight without all the gauges on the pillar.

On a side note this ford makes my old Dodge with the fuel pump cranked look like an old dog with a broken leg. LOL

Thanks again.
Its just a light!, the will get rid of it, it might come back once in a while, but it will go away......and best way to monitor your truck, get some good gauges , I've seen my old Edge display go bonkers before .....cant trust them......you can mount them other than the pillar, like on the headliner below the rear view mirror (thats were i got mine) makes it look like an fighter plane cok pit..
Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM

I got my kit from RCD, they list them on ebay from $350-$200 with no differance in the kit. I bought the $200 kit and it came with everything you need (o-rings) and detailed instructions with pictures. Takes about 6-7 hours to do and a little patience and a swear jar is not a bad idea either. Do a search on ebay for powerstroke 6.0 and look through the listings.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnet69 View Post
I got my kit from RCD, they list them on ebay from $350-$200 with no differance in the kit. I bought the $200 kit and it came with everything you need (o-rings) and detailed instructions with pictures. Takes about 6-7 hours to do and a little patience and a swear jar is not a bad idea either. Do a search on ebay for powerstroke 6.0 and look through the listings.
Here is a nice write up on the EGR delete do it yourselfer install. I'm sure its all the same and even faster with the purchased kit rather than fabricating it yourself

Complete EGR removal write up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.