Finally took the plunge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Finally took the plunge

I finally broke down and bought a 2005 f250 6.0l with 50k miles on it. Need to know what the best custom tunes are. I know to get sct... but from who? And should I worry about blown headgaskets if I chip it, but don't run and drive it hard all the time... like my old 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It will break, so learn to work on it.

Did you see what the oasis report said about the truck?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
RollinEarly05...now

No I didn't. I just drove to the jefferson state diesel compition and on my way home, The truck thru a code...low boost. What is the cause of this?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I also noticed a small oil leak on the oil pan and bellhousing. They said it was normal blow-by. Are they full off it. I have a warranty, buts it only 3k miles.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
I also noticed a small oil leak on the oil pan and bellhousing. They said it was normal blow-by. Are they full off it. I have a warranty, buts it only 3k miles.
I have a 06 with 63000 miles that I bought new it has never lost a drop of oil. They don't have normal blow-by. It sounds like the rear main is leaking if they gave you a warranty you need to have it fixed now. I have never had any problems with my 6.0 I know some people have. I must have got a good one. It's the best truck I have ever had.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 PM
RollinEarly05...now

I know most of them have know issues. If they all were always breaking down, nobody would drive em! On a good note... at the drag races today, a twin turbo'ed 6.0 won super street!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 AM

As for SCT tunes, check out vivan with Looney tunes. Best customer service you will ever have, and great tunes too! From 130-160 Looney tune, to the Economy max netting 3-6mpg boosts.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Thanx, do u have a web site for them? What do u think about my small oil leak? Is that normal? I'm thinking about taking it to the ford dealer and have the truck gone thru so I can know everything is up to par. I'm also a little worried cause my warranty is thru a dodge dealership and I'm not sure if they can handle pulling the motor to replace the oil pan gasket(if that's what is wrong)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Thanx, do u have a web site for them? What do u think about my small oil leak? Is that normal? I'm thinking about taking it to the ford dealer and have the truck gone thru so I can know everything is up to par. I'm also a little worried cause my warranty is thru a dodge dealership and I'm not sure if they can handle pulling the motor to replace the oil pan gasket(if that's what is wrong)
If you have a warranty then use it while you got it. There should be NO oil leaks what so ever...if anyone tells you that they are supposed to then they are full of it.

Even if its a small leak it can end up costing you some BIG money out of warranty. For instance...if its a rear main seal or in my case (luckily still was under factory warranty at 99,980 miles) I had a bed plate leak...the whole engine has to be removed which if not under warranty is $$$$$$$.

Im not sure if you know this but you have a factory warranty on that truck until 5 years from date of first sale or 100k miles.

Rather than take it back to dodge I would take it to a REPUTABLE ford dealership and have them fix the problem under factory warranty.

Another thing to consider since your truck has such low miles is a ford ESP plan. If you can get the premium or extra care I would get those.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to wildfingas
Quote:

My 03 has a wet bell housing. It never drips just more like residue. When I had the warranty on it I had the rear main seal replaced and it was still the same wet area. I later found the ICP leaking. It still has residue but it could be just the way it is. It never drips or has dripped nor does it lose oil so I don't worry about it anymore.

You can get good tunes everywhere on here. I went with Matt at Gearhead. I am running his SRL tune which is for a non studded truck. Makes great power and have not had any issues with it and his service is excellent.

Get an edge insight. Your going to want to monitor your ECT and EOT differences to make sure you dont have oil cooler issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.